Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ampitheatre at Neopolis, Siracusa
I recently saw the ampitheatre at Neopolis near Siracusa on Sicily, or at least the remains, which are those which are below ground, i.e. carved out of the rock, as well as the converted Greek theatre at Taormina, and three things intrigued me. (I have photos if they help)

Neopolis;
One was that there was a large pit in the centre, about 3m x 3m x 3m, with two full height pillars within it - implying a 'roof' level with the ampitheatre floor - the guide said that this was to sweep up the gore/blood-soaked sand into during a display. Is this right?

The other was that there were steps down into a tunnel which ran into the end of the ampitheatre at the apex of one of the 'short' sides - the steps were at right angles to the main tunnel. About half way along this exposed tunnel there were side tunnels joining from either side (with steps down to them), but on one side tunnel the arch connecting it to the main tunnel had been reduced so that it was about 1m tall and smaller in width. Can anybody enlighten me as to why this was done?

Taormina;

This was a half-round Greek theatre converted by the Romans (still half-round), with the lower seats cut away to make a bigger floor space and create a deeper drop onto the ampitheatre floor. Although there were large entrances onto the ampitheatre floor at either side, there was a tunnel which appeared to run round the edge of the floor (so the lowest level of spectators would have been sitting above it), exiting at each end near to the large entrances. Anybody any ideas what this was for? Couldn't look in as workmen were building a stage and blocking the entrance.
a.k.a. Simon Frame
Quote:Neopolis;
One was that there was a large pit in the centre, about 3m x 3m x 3m, with two full height pillars within it - implying a 'roof' level with the ampitheatre floor - the guide said that this was to sweep up the gore/blood-soaked sand into during a display. Is this right?

Possibly, but it seems an awfull lot of troubl eto go through...i suspect it had some more useful function.

The other was that there were steps down into a tunnel which ran into the end of the ampitheatre at the apex of one of the 'short' sides - the steps were at right angles to the main tunnel. About half way along this exposed tunnel there were side tunnels joining from either side (with steps down to them), but on one side tunnel the arch connecting it to the main tunnel had been reduced so that it was about 1m tall and smaller in width. Can anybody enlighten me as to why this was done?

Something to do with animals, big cats perhaps ?

Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda