Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waterproofing rawhide
There was a reason that among American Indians the women had the task of turning hides into leather. They got all the awful jobs.
Pecunia non olet
Quote:There was a reason that among American Indians the women had the task of turning hides into leather. They got all the awful jobs.

Well it is women's work.

(Ducks and hides)
>|P. Dominus Antonius|<
Leg XX VV
Tony Dah m

Oderint dum metuant - Cicero
Si vis pacem, para bellum - Vegetius
Quote:(Ducks and hides)

Not much leather on a duck hide, but a lot tastier to chew than Moose!! :lol: :lol:

(unless it's a chocolate mousse) :wink:
Okay, I have a question: Howcome leather tanning is one of the foulest-smelling processes on earth, but tanned leather is one of the best-smelling substances?
Pecunia non olet
Quote:Howcome leather tanning is one of the foulest-smelling processes on earth, but tanned leather is one of the best-smelling substances

Hmm. Could it be that all the stink evaporates, and leaves only the good smelling stuff?

Seriously, I watched an episode of "The Dirtiest Jobs" or something like that while my wife was in the hospital, about a tannery. All the processes they go through remove many of the chemicals in the original hides, along with the fats and hair. So the various bleaching, leaching, and chemical baths remove some pretty fetid icky stuff. Rancid fats mixed with decomposing flesh isn't a great smell to us, but some bacteria just call it dinner.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Martin at a ROMEC conference I attended there was as lecture on finds from Egypt that mentioned the shoes they found were repaired useing rawhide on the soles I may be able to dig it out and send it to you Big Grin
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Hi Brennivs,

if you find any further information, please let us (me :-) ) ) know!

TIA!
Rawhide would make great sole material provided it didn't get wet. Rawhide was used for sole material for certain tribes of Southwestern US Native Americans. Probably wouldn't do well in the British Isles, though. :lol:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Martin it was the ROMEC XII 24-26 September 1999 South Shields . The lecture was;
Garrison in crisis of Qasr Ibrim,southern Egypt by Carol Van Driel-Murray
"The leather work reveals a garrison facing grave problems of supply and supports the idea of either a short occupation,or of abandoned garrison 'going native' .I dont have that issue Cry but it should not be hard to find.
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)