Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Storing your kit
What is the best way to store your kit for long periods of time? I’m thinking I’ll be away for awhile and I don’t want some of my items to rust while I’m gone.
:wink:
Geoffrey R Reil
"This is no time for tears"...."Be quick, go snatch your brother back from death." Virgil, The Aeneid
I use large plastic tubs, WD40 on steel, neatsfoot the leathers, and add a bag of dessicant. If you can store indoors in an area with heat and air you should have no problems. Make sure it is DRY when you close it up. OK for the WD or neatsfoot to be wet, You just do not want any sweat.

We store 20 sets here in our garage this way, and while we get a bit of rust here and there, it is almost always from sweat, not storage.

I store the Sagum and tunic in there too, the fabric will absorb a bit of moisture if it intrudes.
A very big wooden chest in my house (not the garage) for the metal items, shoes etc. Clothing hung on spear shafts or folded in open upboards.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
on the floor of my office Wink
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
In the den, living room, hallway, outside, in the garage, in the truck etc etc......................THANK GOD FOR PATIENT WIVES!
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Funny! However I’m thinking that most if not all of my belongings might have to be placed in a storage bin for, oh…. let say…. 540 days given an extension or two. Chuck, are you saying that I can store my kit in your garage???? :wink:
Geoffrey R Reil
"This is no time for tears"...."Be quick, go snatch your brother back from death." Virgil, The Aeneid
Hope your not off anywhere in harms way Geoff! I was going to add my usual unhelpful advice but others have beaten me to it! Mine is all over the livingroom! Being a bachalor, with no children, I have been forced to take on that role myself. Hence one fairly large, rather untidy child, who only gets told no when I really can't afford it! :oops:
WD40 is the gift of god for ALL items that need cleaning and storing!
Displaces moisture, and prevents rust for a time. You can buy it in large 5 liter containers too! and it is non-toxic! Big Grin
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel