Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cutty Sark engulfed by fire.
One of London's most famous ships, the Cutty Sark has been engulfed by fire.
The blaze aboard the worlds last remaining tea clipper has been described as 'suspicious'.
Cutty Sark
I think every schoolchild who attended school in the South London/North Kent area has visited that ship and has fond memories of her. I remember being in awe...!
What an awful thing to happen to a beautiful sailing ship that is truly a part of Greenwich's community.
If it was arson, I hope they catch who started the blaze... :evil:
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
These acts of vandalism are disgusting.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Thankfully, all of the artefacts and half of the planking had been removed for the renovations. Small consolation, but one of the people involved with the Cutty Sark has said he thinks it can be repaired. The loss of the fabric is a blow, though.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:Thankfully, all of the artefacts and half of the planking had been removed for the renovations. Small consolation, but one of the people involved with the Cutty Sark has said he thinks it can be repaired. The loss of the fabric is a blow, though.

In the words of Richard Doughty, chief executive of the Cutty Sark Trust -
"When you lose the original fabric, you lose the touch of the craftsmen. You lose history itself," he said.
"What is special about Cutty Sark is the timber, the iron frames, that went to the South China Sea. To think that is threatened in any way is unbelievable. It is an unimaginable shock."

and she is the last of her kind..
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Really sad day Cry

If it was arson, then I hope they punish those responsible severely.
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum
If it was arson, can I tie down the miserable excuse for a human and "engulf" them in flames, too? Maybe burn down thier house or most of thier most valued possesions?

Wasn't the Nemi ships a good enough lesson in "greater good" and all?
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
I'm utterly speechless, except for one word:

Barbarian!!! :evil:

No offence to the Germanic and Celtic enthusiasts on the board! Smile
Paul Basar - Member of Wildfire Game\'s Project 0 AD
Wildfire Games - Project 0 A.D.
Quote:If it was arson, then I hope they punish those responsible severely.

At times like this I'm glad that there are 4 million CCTV cameras in the UK...
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Not just London school kids Arthes! I remember walking her planks as a teenager on a schooltrip from aberdeen to london in about 78.
It is a sad loss, and I hope they roast the person/s responsible, if it is arson.

Memmia wrote:
If it was arson, then I hope they punish those responsible severely.

At times like this I'm glad that there are 4 million CCTV cameras in the UK...

Sadly, they are often pointed in the wrong direction at the time of a crime..... :?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I visited her on a school trip and twice with my Dad. I was always hoping to go there with my sons. Now ,even if restored she wont be quite the same.
One hopes they have HMS Victory sewn up tight. From a security angle anyway.
Jon Ractlife.
There are no real truths, just stories. (Zuni)
I was thinking thattoo! never got around to seeing it yet!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Raiders of the Lost Sark (typical Sun headline :roll: )
No further news as far as I can see...they still don't know exactly what happened.
So sad...Cry
The HMS Victory has additional security measures, just in case.
I also read this
Quote:Cutty Sark's sister ship the City of Adelaide which is rotting away in the Clyde, will be broken up soon through lack of funding
One of 3 surviving composite ships including the Cutty Sark, so why hasn't she being looked after too..... :evil: ?
Adelaide1

Adelaide2
It seems there is a possibility that she may be saved and renovated, in the wake of what happened to the Sark. Hopefully, we will gain another beautiful tall ship... Big Grin
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
-
That pic of adelaide 1 looks like it has gun ports.... :?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:That pic of adelaide 1 looks like it has gun ports.... :?
It says that while a training ship for the Royal Navy, she was fitted with 6" guns and had an anti-aircraft gun on the deck during WW2...!
Did they still have pirates in the late 19th century...?
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
-
But those look like the old style, full-on broadside type of ports? :? lol:
Be hard to get an angle on those messerschmits!! :wink:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel