Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forums similar to RAT
Since a couple of days, I am preparing a new book, on the origin of Christianity and the raise of rabbinical Judaism. In other words, the period between 170 BCE and 200 CE. I always like to discuss what I am writing, so I am looking for a forum similar to RAT. Does anybody know a discussion board?
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Hi Jona,
You don't need anything else than RAT, of course.

But really, aren't there like 10.10^6 early Christianity and Bible study Usenet groups, yahoogroups etc?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:aren't there like 10.10^6 early Christianity and Bible study Usenet groups, yahoogroups etc?
That's the problem: there are too many. What I am looking for is an open-minded discussion group, like RAT. I'm afraid I have to look for a needle in a haystack, so I hope someone over here knows better...
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Xtalk looks a possible? http://www.ntgateway.com/xtalk/
Quote:Homepage of the Moderated Internet Discussion Group for the Academic Study of the Historical Jesus and the Rise of Christianity

Ancient Mediterranean Cultures also. http://www.neonostalgia.com/forum/
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:Since a couple of days, I am preparing a new book, on the origin of Christianity and the raise of rabbinical Judaism. In other words, the period between 170 BCE and 200 CE. I always like to discuss what I am writing, so I am looking for a forum similar to RAT. Does anybody know a discussion board?

Jona,

Interesting topic -- if I might be so bold as to recommend a couple of books that you might find both interesting and useful. (You may already know of these and either dismissed them or put them into your research file -- if so please forgive the redundancy. :oops: )

God Against The Gods: The History Of The War Between Monotheism and Polytheism by Jonathan Kirsch c2004 ISBN: 0-670-03286-7

Some critics have questioned Kirsch's scholarship, though this sounds more like carping by those who are defending their own sacred cows. Without a doubt Kirsch has an agenda (as all historians do) however in spite of this he makes several interesting points about the development of Judaism, Christianity and their relationship with the Roman Empire.

Apocalypse: The Great Jewish Revolt Against Rome AD 66-73 by Neil Faulkner c2002 ISBN: 0-7524-2573-0

Of course the destruction of the Temple in 70 CE had a profound impact on Judaism, but also on the development of Christianity and upon the Romans as well, though they did not feel those effects for some time. Faulkner examines the course of the actual revolt in some detail, but he also delves into the root causes (economic, political, and religious) of the revolt. Most interesting was the Jewish view that their revolt would usher in a "Jubilee"year and that the revolts in the western end of the empire, coupled with the civil wars of 69 heralded an Apocalypse that would remove Rome and reestablish the Jewish state. As Faulkner relates, when the Romans finally fought their way into the Temple itself the Jewish defenders were dumb founded that the heavens themselves did not open up and angles issue forth to destroy the Romans.

Once again, if you already know of these books please pardon my intrusion in suggesting them, and do keep us posted on the progress of your book -- I believe there are many Forum members who would find it of interest.

Best of luck to you on the project.

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Samurai Forums Aedon 2 1,373 04-25-2005, 03:19 PM
Last Post: Magnus
  Non-Roman Forums? Marcus Artorius Silvanus 2 1,226 04-14-2005, 01:54 PM
Last Post: Lvcivs Commodvs Cicero
  new to the forums :) Anonymous 0 765 01-04-2004, 07:28 PM
Last Post: Anonymous