Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Deepeeka Liner!
Ive tried for over ten minutes to find out a way to wear it in a cool military of duty way, but it is hard! Does anyone have a Idea on how? And is this also the reason you guys always wear the helmet on or you are bare headed in all your pics?

Well I will keep up the work and try to find a way!

Tongue lol:
Martin,
Are you saying you wear it without the helmet ? I've never had/seen one of these liners before so I'm not sure what to say. It works well with the helmet but I think I'll glue it in so I don't lose it. It doesn't look like one I'd wear alone, though.
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
It´s a cap that looks like half an egg! It works exellent with the helmet. But it is ugly as #%%&#%#! Tongue So I have tried to experiment a bit with diffrent ways of fold it and wear it. I think it works well as a warmer too and could be worn as a sort of a barret showing I´m a soldier!

Is their any referenses to soldiers hats or caps in any historical texts? I will use it I think as a cap in cold wether or as a badge of soldering. Could be a cool touch when your out of armour and on some RnR at the local village. 8) 8)
Quote:Is their any referenses to soldiers hats or caps in any historical texts? I will use it I think as a cap in cold wether or as a badge of soldering. Could be a cool touch when your out of armour and on some RnR at the local village. 8) 8)
There's this Greek one.
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic. ... 4423#74423
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Osprey's Imperial Roman Legionary AD 161-284 has two illustrations, wearing a similar cap. Both are based on the gravestone of Aurelius Alexianus, from Sparta who served in Caracalla's "Spartan Cohort". They refer to it as a "traditional Spartan pilos cap". For what it's worth, Alexianus also seems to wear a lorica segmentata. Caracalla's special deal "Macedonian phalangites" may or may not have had special, or destinctive equipment, so how widespread the cap was used is unknown. It's usage, here, is during a period of the more enclosed "von Gravnert (sp?)" and "Friedberg" type helmets. A garden gnome looking thing, the Phrygian, was also vogue. I have worn the pilos sent with Deepeeka helmets, and the "Pannonian" with the above mentioned helmets and found them comfortable but needing a lining on the cheek pieces. Wearing the Pilos alone, at least in this state, can get you beaten up though.

Gaius Decius Aquilius
(Ralph Izard)
Quote:way to wear it in a cool military of duty way

Martin - You ought to get used to the idea of having to wear things that seem sort of silly to us modern people by now!

I mean, we're wearing "skirts" with armor. 8)

...And "sandals"...
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
but but but ... half a inflated soccerball???
Quote:Wearing the Pilos alone, at least in this state, can get you beaten up though.

Gaius Decius Aquilius
(Ralph Izard)
But the Peter Pan Guy will think it's just darling.
Pecunia non olet
You know John, this helmet liner could just become all the rage in Santa Fe....

Ralph
Martin,

Here are two methods that I use, and they work for me.

METHOD 1:
I use pieces of 12mm felt and 6mm felt that I cut in sections and cover with linen. I use a simple stitch around the edges to cover each piece of felt.

Helmet crown: 12mm felt oval
Helmet sides: usually 12mm rectangle, one each side over the ears.
Helmet front: usually 6mm truncated cone, one each
Helmet rear: usually 6mm truncated cone, one each
Cheek Guards: 6mm felt, cut in shape of cheekguard, 2 each

I say "usually" above since everyone's head is a different size; some have long, narrow heads, others are more round, etc. The thickness of the felt in each section is determined by your individual head. With some of my helmets, especially in the front and/or back, I have substituted a piece of leather of the correct shape -- the helmet would not fit otherwise.

Before I cut the felt, I position pieces of felt of various thickness with tape to ensure I have the right thicknesses.

I then cut out patterns out of card paper to get the shapes right. I usually leave at least 25mm of space between each section of felt, since you want air to circulate inside the helmet -- especially in summer. The US Army has an open webbing for the same reasons in our helmets.

Next, I cut the felt and sew on the linen.

Finally, I glue the pieces in their positions with rubber cement and clamp them until the glue sets. If you want more points towards re-enactor heaven, then by all means use hide glue.

This gives a nice, snug fit and keeps your head cool.

METHOD 2:

Cut the cheekpieces as in Method 1.

Cut 4 pieces of leather in a "cone" shape, and a leather strip about 25mm wide that is long enough to go around the circumference of your helmet above the cheek guards. This is the "headband."

The four "cones" go from the helmet "headband" and meet in the center at the crown of your head, where they are then looped over and stitched back on themselves, with a "drawstring" in the loops at the crown. The base of each truncated cone is now stitched to the 25mm strip of leather, which is sized to go around the circumference of the helmet. Once assembled, glue the "headband" into the helmet.

You end up with an adjustable helmet lining which is very similar to what the US Army uses in it's helmets today.

You have to make a paper copy of the cones to match the size of your helmet, but it is not hard to do.

Hope this helps.

Edge
Gaius Aurelius Calvus
(Edge Gibbons)

Rules for Posting

LEG XI CPF
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.11thlegion.com">http://www.11thlegion.com

"Mens est clavis victoriae."
I often wear a cap made with the naaldbindung technique, in adition to some padding that remains inside the helmet. Or I wear a phrygian hat.

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
hi there,

is there anybody who knows something about horsehair being used for helmet padding? it should work, considered the fact that it was also being used in saddles etc.

I mean constructed like a gambeson (like some of the medieval arming caps), but in stead of filling it up with wool, you fill it up with horsehair.

greets,
Manuel Peters