Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ornate pugio plates - a possible easy approach?
It's better to use a weaker acid that takes a long time to etch the design than a stronger acid. If the acid is too strong it'll eat away sideways to much instead of verticaly. Like Cesar said, do a lot of experiments. For example: start with 10min immersion time and work your way up. Then you can compare and see what gives the best result.

@Cesar: Is the paint in a spray can or in a pot? Can you easily scratch it away to make the design? Do you perhaps have a link to the paint brand you use? Then I know what I'd look for.

Also I read somewhere you put the plate into the acid with the design down. I always immersed it with the design up and brushed away the bubbles with a feather. But sometimes the varnish I used got rubbed of by this. If you put it i the acid with the design down, do you just put it flat on the bottom of the acid filled recipient or do you have to suspend it?

Kind regards
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Textile subarmalis / new approach caiusbeerquitius 6 2,190 12-14-2022, 03:05 PM
Last Post: caiusbeerquitius
  Ornate Crest Details? Pointer 1 995 08-27-2012, 04:30 AM
Last Post: Pointer
  Ornate pugio discussion AntonivsMarivsCongianocvs 56 9,950 04-30-2007, 05:31 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus