Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Coolus
Nice work, Paul!

Sorry to hear about your dent! I had my new Deepeeka Montefortino A for about 4 days, not even really had worn it, other than to make & adjust the chinstraps, when I used it for a school program. I had a Celtic sword and was demonstrating how the curvature of the helmet would help deflect the blow (hence the "funny onion" shape, as noted by one student) - and wouldn't ya know I put a small dent in the front of the helmet! UGH! Ah well, as you said Paul, it adds some character. It just didn't feel that way when it happened, as I'm sure if did with you!

Peroni - I gather that's you DPK Montefortino A as well?
What's the deal with the little rivet on the very front center of the helmet, is that to hold onto the roping decoration on the edge? I didn't notice anything like that in the pictures of Monte's on RomanArmy.com...That thing is sticking into my forehead, I need to find a way to grind that down without damaging anything.

Also, you've lined the whole underneath of the neckguard with leather on your Gallic A - any reason for doing so? I've never seen that, so I'm curious as to why you did it.
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Quote:Peroni - I gather that's you DPK Montefortino A as well?
What's the deal with the little rivet on the very front center of the helmet, is that to hold onto the roping decoration on the edge? I didn't notice anything like that in the pictures of Monte's on RomanArmy.com...That thing is sticking into my forehead, I need to find a way to grind that down without damaging anything.

No It has nothing to do with holding the roped edge on, so grind away safe in the knowledge that it won't affect the edging!!

It's just the nearest that Deepeeka could get to the decoration seen on the Montefortino A in the British Museum.

Quote:Also, you've lined the whole underneath of the neckguard with leather on your Gallic A - any reason for doing so? I've never seen that, so I'm curious as to why you did it.

Because nothing says that I couldn't!! :wink: and it makes the helmet less like wearing a bell! It deadens out a lot of 'noise'. No other reason other than personal. It's the only helmet I have done this with.
Johnny wrote...
Quote:Adrian,
Do you have any pics with your Montefortino helmet on? I didn't know the chin strap went through 2 rings on the neck guard.

Sure Johnny, here you go.. Handsome old dog I'm not! :lol:

[Image: DSCF2405.jpg]

[Image: DSCF2406.jpg]

[Image: DSCF2403.jpg]
Adrian,
I had no idea they attached like that..!
Thanks for the pics. I'll file these for future reference...
Johnny
Johnny Shumate
Check out Pyrrhus' bust, which (IIRC) Peronis based his excellent arrangement on:

[Image: pyrr.jpeg]
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Tarbicus

Again, another excellent find for image! That's great!

So Peroni's little steps cut into the straps is dead on! Very cool.

Peroni - covering the underside of the neckguard for acoustics makes plenty of sense, it's certainly worth trying out!

Thanks also for the detail about the rivet on the front edge of the forehead.

Another thing I've noticed with the Monte...The studs for the chinstraps - on the DPK version they are in the middle of the cheekguard edge - but the pictures of helmets I've seen - and the Pyrrus bust as Tarbicus just posted shows, the studs are closer to the front corners of the guards...So is the DPK one too far back? It certainly seems to be secure on [my] head while wearing it...?
Andy Volpe
Quote:So is the DPK one too far back?

No. Like I said it is based on the Type A helmet from the BM. (They're all different to a certain degree!)
Thanks, as always!
Andy Volpe