Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for info on annealing...
So I've heard that it may be a good idea to anneal the brass sheets before trying to flatten them into hinges; I was assuming that a torch would be the best way, so I went to Home De(s)pot today to check them out, and found that there are three different fuel-types that I could find: Oxygen, Propane, and ?Mapp? (not really sure what the last one was called) anyway, which one of these is best? Is there a specific, or suggested method that anyone has going as far as annealing goes? I would be very thankful for any help you gurus could give. Big Grin Thanks!
Brandon Shifflet
I'd go with the propane. For most people it's easier to find fuel for. Personally, I use propane to fuel my forge as well. Living where I do, I can drive as little as a half an hour away to get propane. Where Oxy/Acetylene MAPP, or any other fancier stuff is a two hour drive.

Remember that annealing brass is the opposite to annealing steel. You have to dunk it after heating to soften it, where dunking steel after heating will harden it.
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.
I also use propane. On the small torches, you can use the small 1 pound camp bottles. You can usually get them in 2 packs pretty reasonably at Wal-mart.

Mapp gas is good for hotter projects, brazing and cutting.
Titvs Calidivs Agricola
Wes Olson

Twas a woman that drove me to drink, and I never thanked her. W.C. Fields
Remember that the brass will be softer if you let it cool naturally after anealing. It's better than cooling it in water.

Whatever you do, never work brass hot (it will break)!

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Icelandic if you use a liquid soap and cover the piece with it, when you heat the piece up it will turn black and it has reached its optinum annealing temprature then let it cool down. Hope this is of some help Regards Brennivs Big Grin D
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
I assume then, that I could buff out the blackness, and get it back to near-original brass colors?
Brandon Shifflet
quote]I could buff out the blackness[/quote]
A bath in vinegar will take much of the tarnish off. A little polishing will shine it back up.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
The beauty of useing soap is it will simple wash of with water it is only dried up with the heat . No matter what your heat sorce is it takes the guess work out of knowen the temprature, if i remember right I think we used something like swarfega Regards Brennivs Big Grin D
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)