Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A riders bow! Your opinion?
What do you think about this Bow?

Is it anything one could use for roman reenactment? Its made out of cherrywood and Mahogny and can be ordered in a drawweight up to 40 p!
AFAIK Roman composite bows were comparatively larger thanm later ones, so the size and basic shape isn't wrong. But our main 'lead fossil' for Roman archery is bone 'ears' which this bow doesn't have. Also, I doubt the shape of the handle is anywhere near historical examples. So it'd be a compromise even before considering materials and construction (which we all compromise on with many items).

How much is 1400 SKR in civilised money? Is it particularly cheap for a bow of this type?
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
Quote:AFAIK Roman composite bows were comparatively larger thanm later ones, so the size and basic shape isn't wrong. But our main 'lead fossil' for Roman archery is bone 'ears' which this bow doesn't have. Also, I doubt the shape of the handle is anywhere near historical examples. So it'd be a compromise even before considering materials and construction (which we all compromise on with many items).

How much is 1400 SKR in civilised money? Is it particularly cheap for a bow of this type?

How large is that? This bow comes in size up to 160 cm.

1400 is around 150 evro!
Don't buy it...
That bow would stack the first 5 inches of draw! I know, I make bows...
Johnny
Johnny Shumate
Ah! Didn´t understand that, how do you mean Stack??

The bowmaker is quite known here in Sweden and I´ve heard no complaints from anyone here. But I haven´t heard of anyone who owns that particular bow though!
Martin, stacking means that the smooth draw of the bow suddenly stops and becomes "hard" (kind of "jams"). It is due to the shape of this bow.

I have two Grozer bows , a 50 pound hungarian and a 70 pound assyrian one. I will also get by next week Kassai`s 110 pound hungarian style bow. I would recommend you a basic adult scythian bow (105 euro`s) from Grozer archery ( http://www.grozerarchery.com/index_b.htm ). I am very pleased with them, although the sinew, wood, bone & animal glue is replaced by a fiber glass :wink: !
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Quote:How large is that? This bow comes in size up to 160 cm.

160 is a bit much, but from the evidence we have, Roman composite bows could easily measure something like 120-140cm strung. Compared to later medieval bow types (often under 100 cm), they were quite large.

Quote:1400 is around 150 evro!

I must admit I am ignorant of the price of bows in general, but that does not strike me as a spectacularly good price.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
This one also doesn't look like it's actually composite. looks like all one piece?

I used to have a link to a really good bowmaker that I wanted a horsebow from, but can't find it anymore.

This link might get you a little closer to what you're looking for. You might have to dig a bit, since most of their stuff is later than our period.

I did also just find one that's making pieces for around $3000, and take three years to make. 8)
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.
I like the Grozer Scythian bow also but Grozer has a roman bow too. You can find this link useful:
http://www.grozerarchery.com/index_b.htm
Romulus Stoica

Better be a hawk for a day than crow for an year!
I too have an adult Scythian 'Gozer' bow. Mine is 50p
It really is a great bow, I have been using it for 2 years now and it doesn't lose any of its strength or shape...

I paid like 150€ shipped to belgium...

Best regards,
Tom
Tom Pinceel
a.k.a.
Caius Titius Verus

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.LEGIOXI.be">www.LEGIOXI.be
I make bows.

More pictures from the bows

David Kellenberger
Legio Tertiani Italica

Lebendige Geschichte
Geschichtsdarstellungen aller Art für Museen, Schulen und
Geschichtsinteressierte
Experimentelle Archäologie, Archäotechnik , Museumspädagogik

E-mail:[email protected]

http://lebendigegeschichte.myblog.de/

What is the prices in evro for your bows?

They look very nice!
1800 Swiss francs is about 1086 Euro

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Oh Confusedhock: That´s quite steep!
Quote:I like the Grozer Scythian bow also but Grozer has a roman bow too. You can find this link useful:
http://www.grozerarchery.com/index_b.htm

Yes. I'd recommend the Grozer Scythian, too. It can double-up for
other impressions as well (Roman/Hamian/Sarmatian). You should
be able to get it for about E300, give or take the specifications. He's
happy to make it more or less authentic according to the price you
want to pay. (Personally, I'd go for the optional horn-tips as well.) 8)

Ambrosius/Mike
"Feel the fire in your bones."