Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Everyday Life in Rome?
What was it like?

I guess generally, it would be the same schedule as us like.. wake up, wash, eat, go to work, come back, have dinner etc?

Would there have been anything different? Were there any customs or practices that are different from our modern life?

Or can anyone recommend a webby that has interesting info on the everyday lives of Romans? :oops:
-Pearl Sachiko R.

"Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth" - Charles A. Dana.
Hi Sachiko (or should I say 今日は? ;-) ) )

Quote:What was it like?

Do you read German? If yes, get

Karl-Wilhelm Weeber: Alltag im Alten Rom. Das Leben in der Stadt. Ein Lexikon.

Lots of answers to your questions in there!
Eek! I can hardly make out the title..is it supposed to be "everyday in ancient rome.. the life in the state. A lexicon?"...

I can't read german >_<

I can only make out bits and pieces... Do they have an english version?
Thanks for your help Smile lol:
-Pearl Sachiko R.

"Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth" - Charles A. Dana.
Quote:Eek! I can hardly make out the title..is it supposed to be "everyday in ancient rome.. the life in the state. A lexicon?"...

Yes, almost, it translates to: Everyday life in ancient rome.. Life in the city. A lexicon.
It's made up like a lexicon with small articles on all kinds of aspects of ancient (city) life.

Quote:I can't read german... Do they have an english version?

Afraid no :-( ( But maybe something the liek has been published in English - help, anybody?
Nothing on the scale of weeber, but a very good introduction is Dodge/Connolly: The Ancient City. (illustrated, and covers both Classical Athens and Imperial Rome). It's basic, but not simplistic, and the authors know what they're taslking about
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
Carcopino's "Daily Life in Ancient Rome" is a bit dated but still very valuable and highly readable. I've used it extensively in my own writing.
Pecunia non olet
Hi Sachiko,
You could try this book

Daily life in ancient Rome

By Florence Dupont

I have read this and it goes into great detail regarding everyday life

Regards
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum
Hello all,

thank you very much for your reccs, will definitely check them out! Big Grin
-Pearl Sachiko R.

Hi Sachiko

Interesting is also the book "histoire de la vie privée de l'empire romain a l'an mil" with an article of Paul Veyne, a second of Peter Brown and a third of Yvon Thebert.
"Each historical fact needs to be considered, insofar as possible, no with hindsight and following abstract universal principles, but in the context of own proper age and environment" Aldo A. Settia

a.k.a Davide Dall\'Angelo

SISMA- Società Italiana per gli Studi Militari Antichi
Sachiko,
I've just read an extract in a newspaper from a book by Philip Matyszak, 'Rome on 5 denarii a day.' This has been written in the way of a modern city guide book, but for a visitor to Rome around 200AD. The small extract I read seemed very informative so I've ordered a copy.
Lawrence
Lawrence Payne

Asking me to tile your bathroom is like asking Vermeer to creosote your shed ;-)
[url:2kdj7ztq]http://www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk[/url]
www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk
www.romanmosaicpatterns.com
Hi, Sachiko: This RAT thread <link from old RAT> has posts with "Roman Life" website links that may help. +r
AMDG
Wm. / *r
I went through my collection and then tried to find ones that are still in print, (no easy task!) Confusedhock:

I found a few that I liked for a really basic look into Roman daily life, but most of them cost $40-$75. Here is one that is not too expensive and has a lot of material.

[amazon]Daily Life in Ancient Rome: The People and the City at the Height of the Empire[/amazon]
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
I recomend two ancient authors which will give you the picture or everyday life in some specific ways
Apuleius - Metamorphosis
Gaius Petronius Arbiter - Satiricon
Stefan Pop-Lazic
by a stuff demand, and personal hesitation
And speaking of Daily life in Ancient Rome...

The following article forwarded by my daughter.

Link to original article also below.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,276852,00.html

[size=150:26lewx3l]RUINS OF ANCIENT POMPEII YIELD SECRETS OF ROMAN HOUSEHOLDS[/size]
Thursday , May 31, 2007

By Heather Whipps

Residents of Pompeii ate their meals on the run, just like many Americans do today, according to a new archaeological study of how households functioned in the ancient Roman city buried by volcanic ash.
Completely destroyed by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79 A.D., Pompeii is one of the most famous archaeological sites in the world.
Besides its risqué statues and frisky frescoes, however, few of its artifacts have been studied in depth.
• Click here to visit FOXNews.com's Archaeology Center.
Excavating a neighborhood block that includes one of Pompeii's grandest mansions, scientists have recently shed a lot more light on the day-to-day tasks undertaken by its citizens.
"I am looking at pots and pans and how houses actually functioned," said archaeologist Penelope Allison of the University of Leicester in England. "I am interested in revealing the utilitarian side of life rather than its glamorous side, in slaves and servants and how they lived side by side with their masters."
Allison's complete findings are published in a new book, "The Insula of the Menander at Pompeii Volume III" (Oxford University Press, 2007).
Pompeii was destroyed quickly and thus preserved like a time capsule, so Allison's findings may also carry over to other Roman towns from the same period, she said.
A non-gadget world
The ins and outs of domestic life — ranging from where food was cooked to who patched up cuts and scrapes — was the main focus of Allison's research.
Though ancient Rome was an advanced society, it can't be assumed household units worked the same way they do today, she said.
Even simple tools that were found, such cooking vessels, could be interpreted in a number of different ways.
"Today we have hundreds of very specific gadgets," she said, "but in a non-gadget world you have a number of things used for a variety of purposes, such as pots that might have been wine dippers and spindle whorls that were used as furniture ornamentation."
Jacks-of-all-Roman-trades
People also filled a number of different roles when necessary, the findings suggest.
When a child cut his knee, it didn't mean a trip to the local medical clinic, necessarily; Pompeii may have been a town full of "Dr. Moms."
"We believe that whenever we find medical instruments, they belonged to doctors. But I think that a lot more high-level first aid went on within households," Allison said. "We have found surgical instruments in domestic contexts, and I think someone in the house was responsible for sewing up injured people."
Weaving looms found in the homes also imply that women — or perhaps even men — did much of the sewing for their own families rather than purchasing clothes ready-made, she said.
Ancient fast food?
With all the sewing — of wounds and clothes — among other daily chores, busy residents of Pompeii probably had little time left for long, relaxing meals at the dinner table.
There was an absence of formal dishware sets, but an abundance of small grilling vessels (such as barbecues) found in the residences studied, indicating that people were eating-and-running on the go, Allison said.

Some things clearly don't change.

Indeed they don't. :wink: :roll: :wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA