Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gladius scabbart decoration - construction
How far in from the edge of the sheet can you use the punch - in other words what is the maximum measurement from the edge of the sheet that you can punch a hole?
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
First of all WOW!!!
Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock:
How cool is that punch :?: I've got all sorts of tools and gizmos but it's the first time I've seen the whitney punch VERY COOL. I shall put one on my Saturnalia list.

It is possible to do the work with a dremmel although a lot more time consuming and rather unnerving. The Dremmel will tend to wander off on it's own and the ammount of swarf generated is unreal. Goggles are a must.

Below is my effort which I did by punching the design with various sizes of screwdrivers and chisels. I then drilled and dremmeled the holes using the small conical engraving attachments. I finished off by tinning the ensemble. I'm personally quite pleased with the result as it has that rustic less than perfect finish often seen in actual finds (at least that's my excuse :? )
Mark Downes/Mummius

Cent Gittus, COH X. LEG XX. VV. Deva Victrix

That is a nice job Optio! Were the designs based upon a specific find?
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
That looks the part! Big Grin Laudes.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Thanks chaps,

The original basis was the Guttman Pompeii scabbard. Unfortuntely the image I originally had wasn't the best resolution so there was a certain ammount of guesswork, reference to the original depeeka scabbard and artistic licence.

Having seen better quality images I can see what it should have looked like, but it's still 'in the style of' and totally unique.

Woth it if just for the experience.

Looking forwrad to see how Jurjen gets on and what feedback he gives.
Mark Downes/Mummius

Cent Gittus, COH X. LEG XX. VV. Deva Victrix

Thats snot too bad at all. Like you say, the real ones were not cut by laser.. :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel