Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stola v. tunica
So the big Roman Days is coming up and I'd like to make myself a new outfit. I'm debating between a stola and just a tunica. Since I'm co-running the thing, I'd like to have something spiffy.

I've looked through the archives and found the thread to a listing of pictures of Roman women's costumes but am still feeling uninspired. Also for fabric choices, I'm feeling somewhat limited as I don't think silk will stand up in the field with all the running around I do.

I have found these fabrics which look promising:

[url:2ip3kdl0]http://www.fabrics-store.com/first.php?goto=big_fabric&menu=f&fabric_id=1064[/url]

[url:2ip3kdl0]http://www.fabrics-store.com/first.php?goto=big_fabric&menu=f&fabric_id=976[/url]

www.fabrics-store.com/first.php?goto=big_fabric&menu=f&fabric_id=977

If I went with a tunica with gap sleeves, I'd still wear a plain white one underneath it with sewn seams right? It's hard to tell from existing images.

And what about veils v. pallas? I've done the palla thing before and have found that wool ones actually stay up pretty well. But I don't have a contingent of slaves that will follow me around and redrape me when needed. Plus it will be the beginning of June and wool will be rather toasty. I have a linen one but that falls down pretty quickly. Is there another wrap option or should I just be indecent and forgo the wrap all together?

Any other fabric sources that I should consider? www.fabric.com has only solid linens and they are a bit more pricey than fabrics-store.com.

Ah, decisions, decisions! Thanks in advance!!
----------
Deb
Sulpicia Lepdinia
Legio XX
Remember that a stola was a sleeveless outer dress, designed to conceal the figure, and was worn by all decent married women, at least early in the time we're usually portraying.

If you wear a gap sleeve tunica, you don't necessarily have to wear an undertunic, especially if it's hot. If you put a stola on the outside, you should be fine.

Choose a lightweight linen palla, light color, and you'll shed sunlight. Or if it gets too hot, just don't wear it. I doubt the fashion police will arrest you, but if they do, I hear the dungeons are cool, being below ground, so it won't be too bad. :wink:

Above all, have fun! There's plenty of work associated with what you're doing as co-leader.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Ooh! Thank you. I now have another source for fabric!

previously I've used renaissance fabrics which only has solid colors, and limited selection of those.
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stola...which is correct? Magnus 4 2,842 04-16-2015, 07:27 PM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite
  an un-sewn tunica/stola richsc 1 1,673 10-03-2003, 09:08 AM
Last Post: Anonymous