Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post Warrants
Ave Civitas,

I was reading the NOTITIA DIGNITATUM and saw mention of Post Warrants.

I read the note assoicated with the issuing of post warrants and command (control of the cursus publicus).

But, what is a post warrant? The Praetorian Prefect of the East (and I guess the West also) issued Post Warrants, and several offices were authorized to receive a set number of Post Warrants, but I still don't know what they are.

Can anyone clairify that for me?

Thanks.

me.
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)
The cursus publicus only carried official messages and civil servants on urgent business. Naturally, the temptation to use its mostly idle resdources to facilitate pricvate communication or travel was immense to people with the requuired rank amnd/or wealthm, and it seems this was done quite frequently. that is why the number of civil servants allowed to issue postal warrants - permits to use the public post - was strictly limited in theory.

In practice, it seems not to have helped much if we can trust our sources.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
Ave,

Thank you very much. I pondered the subject of Post Warrants for some months and finally threw up my hands and surrendered.

1. So, Post Warrants are authorizations to use the public post. That makes sense, that use of it should be restricted, but then the question comes up, why are offices such as the Praetorian Praefect of the East only allowed 16 post warrants (I assume that is in a given period - perhaps per month or per year).

2. It seems a very small number. Unless issuing a post warrant was an authorization to a specific agency who then had unlimited access to use the public post.

Would you know the answer to that (Number 2)?

Thanks again, You guys are great.

Me.
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)