Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman soldier\'s equipment in the time of Heraclius
Hi.

How was roman soldier's equipment (helmet, shield, sword, etc.) in the time of Heraclius? Please, I need a reconstruction.

Regards,
Marco.
I am very interested in the evolution of the roman army from Gallienus to Heraclius (c. 260-640)
Best get a copy of Sumner, Graham and Raffaele D'Amato (2005): Roman Military Clothing 3: AD 400 - 640, Osprey Men-at-Arms 425, (Osprey, Oxford).
http://www.ospreypublishing.com/title_d ... MAA~per=40
[Image: sumnerbook4.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Seconded. That book is a dream for that period. I only wish I could recreate every tunic in the book.
Derek D. Estabrook
Well yes, but I think the poster wanted more than just clothing. I suggest Osprey 247, Romano-Byzantine Armies 4th-9th Centuries...
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
Plus Late Roman Infantryman/ Cavalryman is not a bad source either.
Derek D. Estabrook
Quote:Well yes, but I think the poster wanted more than just clothing. I suggest Osprey 247, Romano-Byzantine Armies 4th-9th Centuries...

eh that one was ok...
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
Quote:Well yes, but I think the poster wanted more than just clothing. I suggest Osprey 247, Romano-Byzantine Armies 4th-9th Centuries...

Erm.. I guess Marco was not entirely conviced by that book, as he wrote earlier:
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=15139

Shall we continue the discussion there?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Sorry, I had not seen that thread ...
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
Well... I need information for helmets (spangenhelmsor ridge helmets?), armour (mail, lammellar, scale), shields, swords, etc.

For clothing is spectacular Roman Military Clothing (3) AD 400-640, but for the arms and armour? Please, I need a soldier reconstruction (image).
I am very interested in the evolution of the roman army from Gallienus to Heraclius (c. 260-640)
Marco wrote:
Quote:For clothing is spectacular Roman Military Clothing (3) AD 400-640, but for the arms and armour? Please, I need a soldier reconstruction (image).

Hello Marco
Best I can do for the moment is promise you something in a forthcoming issue of Ancient Warfare magazine!

Paul Elliot wrote:
Quote:Well yes, but I think the poster wanted more than just clothing.

There are in fact at least four fully armoured figures illustrated and a few more helmets but sorry none for the Heraclian period.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Hello,
I’m new here and I resurrected this old thread because I am fascinated by this period in Eastern Roman history, I would like to ask the knowledgeable members of this forum if there have been any other new publications on byzantine troops of this period.
Thanks in advance

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Equipment for LEG XI in Vespasian time Aurelianus 19 3,759 02-17-2007, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus