Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Battle Tactics 109BC - AD313
Quote:Don't worry: more early Roman and Italian articles are in the pipeline.
Eeeexxxcellent.
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Dan,

Aside from the articles I'm researching, if 'Roman Battle Tactics, 390-110 BC', gets the go-ahead, I plan to include discussion of the tactics of other Italic peoples, especially the Samnites.
Quote:If I did do something on Late Roman tactics (on which I am a bit rusty), I'm not sure if it would be for Osprey. Aside from the copyright issue and rubbish pay, I've never been happy with the lack of control over the artwork. I submit design briefs and hope for the best. I'm fairly happy with the plates for RBT, but a few minor anachronistic elements have crept in (though that won't come as a surprise to RAT members).
How about Tempus?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:How about Tempus?

Hi Robert,

Tempus still has first option on 'The Roman Infantry Battle', if I ever write it (what I did write was rubbish, except for the wee bit that became 'The Clashing of Weapons and Silent Advances in Roman Battles', Historia 56.1, pp. 114-117). The original idea was to cover the period from the Punic Wars to the late fourth or fifth century AD, with a theme of essential continuity rather than change in tactics. I'm not sure if I'd still do it that way.

R

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ross Cowan\'s Roman Battle Tactics 109 BC - AD 313. Robert Vermaat 7 2,765 08-09-2007, 08:34 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Website with roman equipment/tactics Bushikage 2 1,335 04-17-2007, 08:45 AM
Last Post: Bushikage
  Osprey Roman Tactics book Anonymous 18 3,519 04-08-2005, 01:12 AM
Last Post: Anonymous