Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman grill rust
I agree, thanks for the photo. I've purchased one from LaWren's Nest, but I haven't had a chance to cook with it yet. We were intending to fire it up this past weekend, but the weather was just too miserable. I do like the idea of adding an adjustable tray for the coals. You could just put it next to the fire pit and shovel some smashed up coals to get nice, even, low flame heat to cook, then bank the embers under the "burner rings" in the rear to keep the left-overs warm of simmer a stew. Our new cook is dying to try it out.
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
Dear Friends,

Hereby a reconstructiondrawing of the stove Pompeii I made about 15 years ago in Naples. The measurements are from the original. A good copy can be found in the Museo della Civilta Romana in Rome. The original one has as said above a floor. This helps when to grill food or boil water.

Greetings

Maarten
Maarten Dolmans

Marcus Claudius Asclepiades

COHORS XV VOL. C. R.
CLASSIS AUGUSTA GERMANICA

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.paxromana.nl">www.paxromana.nl
Thanks Maarten, great drawing.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
yes it is a great drawing Confusedhock: 8)
thank you very much for your help maarten Big Grin
laudes to you Big Grin
Martin Müllauer

http://www.gentes-danubii.at/
We wired a grill into the bottom of ours to provide the charcoal surface, pretty easy. Works great, very heavy duty. We can order them thru SOTW, but do not have any in stock at the moment. And it is from pompeii, as our website says... we do not do "cheesy" history blurbs. Only true stuff.
Hello Maarten,

This thread has been sleeping for quite a while and your attachment with the measured drawing of the stove is no longer available. Might it be possible for your to repost it? I have just built a modified version of it but would love to see the original specs.

Thanks in advance,

Luke

Quote:Dear Friends,

Hereby a reconstructiondrawing of the stove Pompeii I made about 15 years ago in Naples. The measurements are from the original. A good copy can be found in the Museo della Civilta Romana in Rome. The original one has as said above a floor. This helps when to grill food or boil water.

Greetings

Maarten
L.E. Pearson