Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Galea padding?
Yep, and yep on the glue failing. I painstakingly stripped all the paint off the cheekpieces, and the glue stuck no better. Before that, it stuck fine to the paint, but the paint fell off in patches, so the cheek pads fell out. Grr. If they didn't put that paint in there in the first place, seems to me, we wouldn't have to worry with getting it out.

Grrrump maker.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Ya know I honestly didn't even think about padding the cheek plates....could someone perhaps post a pic of this....

Please forgive the new guy question...but here goes....Why pad the cheek plates?
Decimus Apollonius
(Brian Camp)

Legio IX HISPANA
COHORS III EXPUGNATOR
Centuria I HIBERNICI
CON VIII AP

[Image: Brianssignature-1.jpg]

Legio IX Hispana Web Site:
[url:l69cdju8]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org/[/url]
Quote:Why pad the cheek plates?
Every armour needs padding to soften the impacts of the blows. Armour only takes care of the penetration, not the impact, and these could still break bones or cause internal bleeding if not properly softened.

Modern armour is also a combination of the two.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
And it keeps the hot or cold metal from being in direct contact with the skin. Where I live, a helmet picks up sunlight pretty quickly, and can be very uncomfortable to the touch. Same thing on those cold days, when there's frost everywhere, the metal feels very cold to the cheeks and chin.

Impact was probably the most important reason, though.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Galea cheek guards angus1235 0 835 09-04-2017, 01:15 AM
Last Post: angus1235