Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ebay Falcata
Quote: Any good ideas or threads concerning the scabbard?

Hmm,this is actually more puzzling than it looks.You see,for this or for more curved blades it is logical that the scabard should e curved,too.However in many vases(probably tha majority of those I've seen) we see a kopis in the hoplite's hand and a perfectly streight scabard!Some times tha scabard even has a cross section that would fit only in leaf shaped xiphos!I can't but suppose that all these artists,that many times are very detailed in everything else,have done a mistake.Except from vases,I've noticed this in other artwork,too.

See this scabard for the more curved version
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=9935
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Hmm. That's leather, looks like. I think I could do that. The embossing isn't dreadfully difficult.

I think I'd like to put brass around the top, to match the guard on the sword handle, and probably along the embossed lines instead. I think it would look a little more flashy, and certainly more sturdy. That blade is heavy, so I'm afraid it would deform the leather at the top of the sheath. Was that done?

Is the leather wrapped over wood and stitched on the back side?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Leather should be wrapped over the wooden core and be kept in place by the brass covering.You don't need to make those rings along the scabard,I'd suggest not.If you want it's also accurate to put a metal covering in the tip,too.If you cannot make a pointy one,recatngular bottoms are depicted in vases.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Quote:Thanks Frater!

I think I will buy one to play with.

Don't bid too much for it; they go for £20- £25 here.
I got it for 59 US shipped. I think I will do some work to it to make it a little more unique. Gonna try to mill out the fullers to make them deeper and wider. This might lighten it some to the point its not so heavy. I have also considered rehilting it with an all wood grip.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Don't do the rehilting.If it's really heavier than it should,you wouldn't want to move the point of balance further to the top...As I said,cast bronze hilts did exist.Probably with a bit different decoration,but this is not a big issue.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Thanks for the advice Giannis! However if I make the fullers wider, and deeper this might make the blade much more user friendly. But I will wait and see how the thing feels in my hand before I rehilt it.

a.k.a. Paul M.
Do you find it possible to do the blade thiner?This would help much.
Giannis K. Hoplite
Giannis,

I have to wait and see what the blade is like before I can make a definate choice, but I think it will be possible.

a.k.a. Paul M.
So I got the sword in the mail just a few days ago. Here is my short review for anyone interested.

The thing is HEAVY!

It reminds me of a pretty crowbar.

Handle is on the small side for anyone with larger hands. So if I re-work this its definately going to be changed. Its almost like it was made for a child.

The blade is another concern since its so thick. I dont think there will be an easy way to mill out the fullers to make them wider and deeper. So this will have to be done either by hand, or a Dremel might work.

a.k.a. Paul M.
Giannis wrote:
Quote:As I said,cast bronze hilts did exist.
Giannis, is there any evidence of cast bronze hilts on Falacattas? I have a Del Tin Falcat/Kopis which has a cast handle and I have always thought that it is totally inaccurate!

Btw, my Del Tin falcattas blade is very light compared to the heavy handle, so it feels a bit awkward!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Quote:So I got the sword in the mail just a few days ago. Here is my short review for anyone interested.

The blade is another concern since its so thick. I dont think there will be an easy way to mill out the fullers to make them wider and deeper.

Have you not got an angle grinder? Given that you already have guidelines, that should be a good tool for the job. I think, however, that the very fine lines are authentic. I don't know of any provenance for falcata with wider markings.
Virilis,I have seen pictures of bronze kopis handles.I have to go to my home town to get pictures from that encyclopedia,though.If I remember well,one or both of them were in the Dodona museum.They were actually real pieces of art.One of them ended in a sculpted griffin or eagle head and the other in a lion head.There was no picture of the entire sword so i didn't see blades,but there were probably only the hilts-bronze surviving better than iron.Of course it's obvious that iron hilts existed,too.Oh!Connolly has a bronze kopis hilt.In the illustration of Alexander crossing Granicus,the companion next to him has a bronze hilt similat to those I described.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Paul I do have a angle grinder, and I am sure it will be used. I think that if I get the proper mill bit i can mount it and cut the fullers by hand with more precision.

I have also considered using a die grinder to cut the fullers, and smooth them out.

a.k.a. Paul M.
Yes, Giannis, now I remember that bird head falcata handle too! It would be great to see some photos of the real artefact...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]