• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ebay Falcata
Are these terribly incorrect?

[Image: W013a.jpg]
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Quote:Are these terribly incorrect?

[Image: W013a.jpg]

The blade looks awfully straight for a falcata. Other than that it seems pretty decent for a reconstruction.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Paul compare the one by H. A.

Greeks had straight falcatas as well, images prove it...

the size would be the matter I guess but not much.

And replace the handle.

http://www.4hoplites.com/Weapons.htm

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Thanks Frater!

I think I will buy one to play with.

a.k.a. Paul M.
It is an almost streight kopis,existed for sure in Greece.The size must be ok,if I remember from pictures of re-enactors.The hilt is also ok,I've seen bronze kopis hilts shaped as birds and animals.So,overall it's a pretty nice sword.There are also very similar swords with the same hilt and size but slightly more curved.If you find it I'd suggest that one.A bit smarter.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Quote:Paul compare the one by H. A.

Greeks had straight falcatas as well, images prove it...

the size would be the matter I guess but not much.

And replace the handle.

http://www.4hoplites.com/Weapons.htm

Well, is this supposed to be a falcata or a kopis? If it is supposed to be a falcata, then it shouldn't be so straight.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Oh,yes,probably,but I thought we're talking about Greek re-enacting,so it's a kopis?The Greek words are two:"kopis" and "machaira".The difference(if any) is not clear.Usually with machaira we mean a more straight kopis with the point looking upwards(see Sekunda "The Greek Hoplite" p.16)I haven't seen such find though.In greek "machairi" means knife so "machaira" means a big knife(bucher's knife).Whatever the name is,we should agree that this sword is suitable for greek re-enactment,right?
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Semantics! Too late as I have already bid on it LOL

a.k.a. Paul M.
Hey!I waisted 9 lines to answer you :x lol:
Are you reconstructing any particular soldier or are you in the general category "Greek hoplite"
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Quote:Oh,yes,probably,but I thought we're talking about Greek re-enacting,so it's a kopis?The Greek words are two:"kopis" and "machaira".The difference(if any) is not clear.Usually with machaira we mean a more straight kopis with the point looking upwards(see Sekunda "The Greek Hoplite" p.16)I haven't seen such find though.In greek "machairi" means knife so "machaira" means a big knife(bucher's knife).Whatever the name is,we should agree that this sword is suitable for greek re-enactment,right?
Khaire
Giannis

The details of the handle look much more like those seen on falcatae than kopides/machairai, but it's definitely not inaccurate or anything, no.
Ruben

Quote:Hey!I waisted 9 lines to answer you :x lol:
Are you reconstructing any particular soldier or are you in the general category "Greek hoplite"
Khaire
Giannis

I have no serious plans to make a Greek kit at anytime soon. I am too busy refining my 1st century, and 4th century Roman kits. However I would like to have a Greek sword for display. Thanks for all of the input guys!

a.k.a. Paul M.
I have one of these. It's a little blade heavy, but I think that's the way it's intended to be, though I suspect the originals were not quite as thick as the replica. But if it had an edge on it, it would cut really deeply out at the wide part of the blade. Might remove a sword hand or something equally devastating to the attacker....

Now to make a scabbard and baldric. That's the next step.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
David,I also thought that the kopis was meant to be heavier near the top of the blade,but believe it or not,they weren't!It was the shape that made it devastating and not the weight.Measurments from different ancient pieces shoed that the point of balance was exactly at the cross point!And this is the case both for the leaf shaped xiphos and the kopis.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Right, and that confirms my suspicion that the recreation isn't quite as accurate in handling as it might be in shape. That curved blade is a great slicer. This one is a little on the heavy side, so it would be very stressful on the wrist of the user.

This replica one has poor balance, IMHO, but it looks ok on a display table. Any good ideas or threads concerning the scabbard?

Still, the thickness at the main striking point has its advantages...primarily great strength.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I am actually thinking of making the fullers deeper and a little wider in mine to lighten the blade some. However this all depends on the quality of the steel if its worth it or not.

a.k.a. Paul M.