Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Show here your Celtic warrior impression
Quote:Boudicca?

I don't think it's known for certain that she was a warrior. She might have been a leader of an armed rebellion but this doesn't mean she actually did any fighting herself...

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
[Image: 2269983133_1394a1b2db.jpg]

view larger picture
[url:jzjst26k]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2015/2269983133_a9bb50c8f0_o.jpg[/url]
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
Looks good Chuck,

I have been looking at this picture for a while because I thought I was missing something, Now I know what it is...

... A shield! :wink:
Folkert van Wijk
Celtic Auxilia, Legio II Augusta.
With a wide interrest for everything Celtic BC
Just updated some pictures, removed the old junk with a new impression or two.
Shields are arc d' Orange

[Image: P3090309.jpg]
[Image: 081-Copy.jpg]

Shield covered with felt
[Image: 006.jpg]
Quote:Looks good Chuck,

I have been looking at this picture for a while because I thought I was missing something, Now I know what it is...

... A shield! :wink:

its cut out, i just need to get a boss or a spin for it.
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
Quote:Well Some Celtics go to war completely Naked!

Do you want me to pose for you? :twisted:

Thats the cheapest and more accurate armor I have ever seen... :lol:
Javier Sánchez

"A tomb now suffices him for whom the whole world was not sufficient"
[Image: 76946975ce3.png]
Because the links of my pictures in the "showe here your roman...." thread are no longer working, I think people wouldn't mind I post them here again.
Folkert van Wijk
You look great! and I also like the look of the roman, I like the white tunic look
Javier Sánchez

"A tomb now suffices him for whom the whole world was not sufficient"
[Image: 76946975ce3.png]
Quote:P.S. Does anyone know the significance of covering themselves with chalk ? Was it just religious/ ceremonial or to stop heat exhaustion/ sunstroke due to them being naked ?

The Gaesatae never did cover themselves with chalk...We have no historical account about that...We know that celtic warriors used mortar to keep their hair stiff, and maybe the Keltengruppe Carnyx made a bit of confusion.

The Gaesatae were in fact sacred mercenaries, that fought nude to demonstrate their courage...however not all of them...Plutarch, in "Life of Marcellus" writing about the Gaesatae commander Viridomar, report that he weared a golden armour.

Their name means "bearers of Gaesum", and the Gaesum was an all-iron javelin, called also "soliferreum" by the romans.
Gioal Canestrelli "Caturix"

- www.evropantiqva.org -
Quote:
Their name means "bearers of Gaesum", and the Gaesum was an all-iron javelin, called also "soliferreum" by the romans.

Hey that's cool, I didn't know about their "javelins" being of the all iron type, I thought the all iron spears where a tipical Iberian thing.
Have you seen such a Gaesum? Do you know if they look the same as the Iberian all-iron javelins??
Folkert van Wijk
Quote:You look great! and I also like the look of the roman, I like the white tunic look

By the way, Thanks Javier, The roman is a Dutch member of the Dutch Legio Secvndo Avgvsta. They all where this "white" tunic as being the most plausible option I belief only the (English) Centurion wheres something red...
Folkert van Wijk
Quote:
Caturix:1hmxcx7v Wrote:Hey that's cool, I didn't know about their "javelins" being of the all iron type, I thought the all iron spears where a tipical Iberian thing.
Have you seen such a Gaesum? Do you know if they look the same as the Iberian all-iron javelins??

Julius Pollux, in the "Onomasticon" (Vocabularium) (cfr. VII, 156) says that "Soliferreum" and "Gaesum" are the same thing.

Dont'know if the weapon is of celtic or iberian origin...

find gaesum images at: http://www.fianna-ap-palug.com/index.ph ... &Itemid=26

- www.evropantiqva.org -
Yep these are Iberian. They do look a lot like the 4 that i recently looked at in a museum in Cordoba. But I have (fore now) no idea if they origin from Iberia... Is there someone who can tell if the Romans used these also? Maybe in the auxiliary ranks :?: :?:
Folkert van Wijk
Quote: Is there someone who can tell if the Romans used these also? Maybe in the auxiliary ranks :?: :?:

In Britain there were a Cohors Gaesatorum Raetorum (Cohors of "Raethic Gaesatae", Raethians armed with gaesa. I assume...), as attested by III A.D. epigraphic evidence.

The gaesum so was a weapon used by Celts, by Iberians an by Raethians.

Can't say If ii was a Celtic or Iberian concept...

- www.evropantiqva.org -
:?: :?: Raethians :?: :?:
Folkert van Wijk

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Show here your Sarmatian warrior impression Alanus 108 124,933 07-03-2020, 07:40 AM
Last Post: Sooqa
  Show here your Germanic warrior impression ghandi 239 189,129 04-12-2020, 03:06 PM
Last Post: Ariovistvs
  Show here your Thracian warrior impression Dain II. 22 32,348 05-28-2012, 04:23 PM
Last Post: AMELIANVS