Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Show here your Celtic warrior impression
Quote:
pelgr003:1nt5mckm Wrote:probably to look more " scary" or something like that.
How can you take a man serious with his dangley bits :roll: :roll: showing Confusedhock: :twisted: Confusedhock:
Fred ( arrowmaker)

umm i dont think i'd be looking Wink i'd be running away from some guy charging with an errection in a drug induced craze .
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
That sounds good sense Confusedhock: but as good archer I tend to keep me enemies a long way away Big Grin twisted: Big Grin
Arrowmaker
FRED TIBBETTS
E-MAIL [email protected]
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.jft-traditional-archery.co.uk">www.jft-traditional-archery.co.uk
Trader and maker of traditional archery products am looking to expand my knowledge.
Fred
Quote:
arrowmaker:1ig65ubg Wrote:
pelgr003:1ig65ubg Wrote:probably to look more " scary" or something like that.
How can you take a man serious with his dangley bits :roll: :roll: showing Confusedhock: :twisted: Confusedhock:
Fred ( arrowmaker)

umm i dont think i'd be looking Wink i'd be running away from some guy charging with an errection in a drug induced craze .

LOL :lol:
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote:umm i dont think i'd be looking Wink i'd be running away from some guy charging with an errection in a drug induced craze .

Wow! I didn't know the Gauls fought Florentine. :lol:

Right, there's one target just begging for the tip of a gladius. If I had some nude, berserk maniac with a yard of steel in my face, that might be the only trick that would make him back off. Maybe not even then, though it would take some potent mushrooms to make a man ignore a threat to the, er, well...Yeah, maybe running is a good idea.

On that note, how can you not take him seriously, when wearing nothing but his birthday suit he whips you anyway? I recall reading some accounts, Polybius maybe?, where the Gauls used this tactic against the Romans in the early days. It scared the daylights out of them, and took some serious work from the centurions to overcome it. By all accounts, they did get over it in time.
---AH Mervla, aka Joel Boynton
Legio XIIII, Gemina Martia Victrix
Joel I said before a well placed studded roman boot would do the trick Confusedhock: Confusedhock: . But on reflection retreat is the better part of valor in other words (hitch up your Toga and run like hell) :oops: :wink: :oops:
Arrowmaker
FRED TIBBETTS
E-MAIL [email protected]
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.jft-traditional-archery.co.uk">www.jft-traditional-archery.co.uk
Trader and maker of traditional archery products am looking to expand my knowledge.
Fred
Oops,missed that part. My bad.
see my post above - they only appear once in the survivimg histories, initially are a shock to the Romans at the start of the battle, but by the end of it have been disastrously defeated, never to appear again !
Guess they found out the 'hard' way that naked purity and the protection of the gods are no match for a pila,gladius, umbo and caligae wielded by a legionary with bad atitude and no respect for Celtic gods !!! :evil: :twisted: :twisted:
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
I wonder though, what effect it had against other Gauls, or Germans, who understood its significance. It's a real pity they didn't write anything down. For that, and many other reasons.
The thread is a bit old but I cannot resist to make a few remarks about the poor gaesatae who were apparently seen by some as laughing stocks. :wink:

Many ancient warriors walked barefoot. If you were used to do, thistles et al. are not that big problem for your soles. Ever walked with sandals or thin leather shoes through thistles or thorny plants? Not so much better than with bare feet.

I wonder why a kick into the private parts of the body would have been a lesser problem for a guy with trousers? Don't overestimate the energy resistence of thin cloth.

If the gaesatae believed to gain some supernatural assistance through fighting naked, a benefit would have been there even without the Roman soldiers sharing this believe.

I don't want to cast doubt on Roman supremacy but the battle of Telamon is not the best proof of Celtic/gaesatae dilettantism. The Celts were wedged between two Roman consular armies, had to fight on two fronts therefore and were outnumbered perhaps two to one. Nevertheless the battle lasted for long and the Romans had big problems to gain victory.
Wolfgang Zeiler
I think you have got the answer to the highland and other scotish and galic dances Sits back and looks out for arrows/spears/rocks and anything our scotish /galic friends will throw
FRED TIBBETTS
E-MAIL [email protected]
Fred
I find it fascinating that a topic designed to showcase people's best Celtic attire has been completely throne off and railroaded by 2 naked Germans Lol. Maybe this should be used as an example of the shock and distraction this tactic can have. Truly Fascinating!
Well done to the 2 (count 'em) people who actually submitted photo's of their kit Lol.
Jason Rogers
Quote:I find it fascinating that a topic designed to showcase people's best Celtic attire has been completely throne off and railroaded by 2 naked Germans Lol.

Good point ...

(head shots from http://www.redzebraphoto.co.uk )

Me
http://tinyurl.com/2yv75t

My Fiancée (and yes that spear was aimed at me)
http://tinyurl.com/2fp45o

N.
Perhaps a reminder that there were WOMEN Celtic warriors might bring them back and possibly moreso with the possible lack of garb. :wink:
Who needs a nudist colony when you can do the same thing and wear a torc?
Derek D. Estabrook
Sorry to be the voice of doom here, but there are no references to women as Celtic warriors. This suggests that either A: They didn't fight in massed armies or B: That they were so common in the ranks that it wasn't worth mentioning. In my opinion its A.

However, If we are talking about the Iron Age, then we know that Women did have a verys special significance when it came to training warriors, Scathach trained CuChulainn and in the old Welsh texts, there is reference to young men being taught how to use a spear (the one for battle, not the other one...)by women.

There again, if we look at the original Celtic lands through modern history, we see Joan of Arc, Grace O Malley, who were leaders.
Not to mention the interesting point that during the Second World war, many European Resistance cells seem to have been commanded by women. Whether this was because their husbands andlovers had died or because women are less obvious targets...?

Just thought I'd throw that in there....lol

Serious lack of Celtic Impressions photo here eh?

Cunogenus
Boudicca?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Show here your Sarmatian warrior impression Alanus 108 124,904 07-03-2020, 07:40 AM
Last Post: Sooqa
  Show here your Germanic warrior impression ghandi 239 189,104 04-12-2020, 03:06 PM
Last Post: Ariovistvs
  Show here your Thracian warrior impression Dain II. 22 32,342 05-28-2012, 04:23 PM
Last Post: AMELIANVS