Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Haversack Contents
Just thought I would show a pic of some of the contents I carry in my haversack. Its the small things that make the impression complete in my book. This does not show all of the items such as rations, or extra clothing.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p309 ... /items.jpg
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Greetings!

Since I am a new guy to Rome, could you I.D. some of the goodies?? I see the striker and flint shard, some coins, the tablet, but what are some of the small brass items? Thanks!!

Wes
Titvs Calidivs Agricola
Wes Olson

Twas a woman that drove me to drink, and I never thanked her. W.C. Fields
Hey Wes!

Theres a pair of tweezers, bronze ring, and a couple fibula (brooches) and a leather awl based on a bog find.

a.k.a. Paul M.
Duh! Now I can see them.....Thanks!! Neat stuff!
Titvs Calidivs Agricola
Wes Olson

Looks good, Paulus,
And you're right...the little things make the kit seem real. I'm adding a fishing bag to mine soon. Couple of fishhooks, some line, a bobber carved from willow...Probably a couple of lead weight sinkers, but I'm not sure what the style of sinkers will be. Probably just irregular split shot.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Paul, where is the bronze "pubis ring" you so proudly presented some time ago Confusedhock: ?
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Ok, I see the flint and steel, too, but do you keep a waxed bag of charred cloth or other substance to catch the spark?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Ok, I see the flint and steel, too, but do you keep a waxed bag of charred cloth or other substance to catch the spark?

I carry it in a small brass box. I am going to make one that looks more Roman soon.

a.k.a. Paul M.
Do you use charcloth made from cotton or linen or what?

Unless the linen is really 100% linen, I've had trouble with it...synthetics just don't work--so I usually use old denim jeans recycled to 1" squares, burned in an Altoids tin. A slip top box that once housed a spool of 100' of 35mm camera film is good, I had one, so...

There are certain fungi and rotten woods that will catch a spark, too, but I wouldn't know how to tell someone which ones would work.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
If you can find a tree thats rotting away, you can grab some of the rotten wood and char it the same as you would for char cloth. Shelf fungus on trees works well too, if charred in the same manner. I'll dig and see if I can find the official name and an image.

Another good find is called heart-wood or sap-wood, I have found it in the local home improvement centers, now it would be on clearance, for starting fires in your home fireplace. Its basically pine heartwood thats really full of sap or resin. Burns hot, but it likes to "pop", so watch your wool!! You can break them in half and they fit well in fire-start kits.

I have some "shredded wood" that came as packaging /padding in my last batch of muskets, its nice and greasy and makes a good tinder as well. I have about a gallon sized ziplock bag full, PM me your address and I will send you some, for who-ever wants some. Its light and compresses well.

I also have a bunch of good hot sparking Missouri chert and flint if anyone wants a shard.
Titvs Calidivs Agricola
Wes Olson

I will be adding more contents to this haversack eventually such as a period pair of scissors/shears, a sewing kit for repairs, and possibly even more grooming pieces.

Its these small things to add up to make an impression more realistic.

When I portray a WW1 German soldier I can reach into any pocket and pull out items that a soldier may have had. Period pocketknife, coins, paper money, ID, French aspirin bottle etc. etc. Samething for my 18th century civillian impression.

a.k.a. Paul M.
You're right. And for the later periods, depending on who you're portraying, a key or two for different things.

I guess there's not a real, documented list of what was likely to be found in a Roman soldier's gear, but common sense would include the things you need for camping. Some cord or twine, a length of rope, a kitchen knife, needle and thread and some patch material, tweezers for splinters, some cleaning rags, sand for polishing metals, things like that were most likely found, and probably divided into small kits in small leather or cloth bags.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
What's written on the wax tablet? The angle of the light makes it hard to see...
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Looking good!
Vale!

Antonivs Marivs Congianocvs
aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

My ancient coin collection:
[url:3lgwsbe7]http://www.congiano.com/MyCoins/index.htm[/url]
Quote:What's written on the wax tablet? The angle of the light makes it hard to see...

Roman Alphabet, and my name.

a.k.a. Paul M.