Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Submission Mainz Gladius Blade
Taking a look at all the truly awesome work displayed here by obviously very gifted artists, I realize what I am about to display much pales in comparison yet I am compelled to join in on the fun anyway.

The Mainz blade is unfinished approaching the end of foundation work. Next comes final shaping and polishing. Following that comes the full mount monty which I am now mapping out both design and colour wise.

Blade was cut from a very hard, very thick and very heavy piece of auto spring steel scrap with a hacksaw so now I have forearms like Popeye (sawsercize I guess).

Had no pattern. My tools are old and failing like the user so this has taken some time. At this point in the pic it will be finished entirely by hand. When the mounts are completed will display again. Work has already begun on the Hispaniensis variety and Pomeii to follow. As soon as I am better equiped I wil be capable of producing these swords much faster. The blade steel is incredibly strong and although final cutting edge has not been worked in yet it cuts through hardwood, bone and nails no problems with no damage to cutting edge. Your work here is absoluetely stunning gents Just keep going you can't lose. Would love to purchase a few of your items really.

Many thanks to all!

Richard
Titus
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti
Before taking part in the Hasta Pura Award you have to be nominated by a forum member. Please read the rules first and look at the model presentation. Also, make sure to be familiar with the terms "reproduction" and "reconstruction". Smile
I move this to "reenactment and reconstruction".
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Thank you please accept my apologies

Rick
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gladius from Mainz Rado 52 14,369 08-14-2017, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Rado
  Mainz Type Gladius XorX 16 7,679 04-26-2016, 01:25 AM
Last Post: Timothy Park
  Forging Mainz Gladius Timothy Park 1 1,923 04-24-2016, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Jim Bertagnolli