Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ancient/Antique Brass
Very simple yet effective technique for making a very impressive impression of aged brass, copper, steel anything really.

Once I was working on an old Edwardian style dining room breakfront for a friend for purposes of restoration. There were many relief areas that required the replacement of the original dulled and vastly missing gold leaf accents.

Went out and got a small test bottle of gold leaf and the results left something to be desired. It was far too brash and made an unpleasant contrast with the beautiful old dark timber long since kissed with that appealing deep patina that only time can render.

I had recalled that I had lots of ground up brass lying on the shop floor from a previous project. I took a small cup, filled it and got a can of clear automotive lacquer. When I mixed the two in various amounts I finally arrived at what I thought was the perfect replacement paint. Due to the fact that ground brass is actually thee metal and not a pigment so to speak, it gave the motif a a soft, gentle time aged look and appeared to look as part of the original item although much nicer actually.

It can be build up to quite a thickness via use of coats allowed to dry in between and it looks pretty nifty on metal as well and gives the appearance of worn brass strip. one whisk of a worn piece of crocus cloth lends an interesting look. A little dust from the shop floor can be tossed in as well for a deeper brass effect.

Just a different road to take I guess they all arrive at something like the same place.

Titus
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti