Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hadrian\'s Wall update
No flight yet, but in the meantime, here is a set of photos of the fort at Chesters with details of all the bits you can see, plus Holmes' original plan and three of J.P. Gibson's original photos of the 1885 excavations of the extramural bath-house.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Great pics Mike!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Mike

Can you recommend a good map of the wall?
MARCVS VLPIVS NERVA (aka Martin McAree)

www.romanarmy.ie

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Legionis XX Valeria Victrix Cohors VIII

[email protected]

[email protected]
Quote:Can you recommend a good map of the wall?

Sore point. The current Ordnance Survey Hadrian's Wall map is execrable and the only reason to buy it is so you can take it outside and jump up and down on it shouting obscenities. What you ideally need is the original 1972 Map of Hadrian's Wall (2nd edition) which is at the old two-and-a-half inches to a mile scale (1:25000) and has the Wall and its components superimposed in red and black (black for existing, red for supposed or known), but it is worth its weight in gold and very difficult to get hold of.

Failing that, the range of 1:25000 maps (rebadged a few years ago as 'Explorer' maps, all of which feature a nice photo on the front with the caption 'please do not assume that the cover photo is necessarily of any part of the area that appears on the map sheet'... where is it, then - Greenland?) covers the course in useful detail (better than the 1:50000 Landrangers which are a bit too vague) and have all the major bits indicated. The sheets you need for the main part of the Wall are (from west to east) 314, 315, OL43, and 316. Some of them are double-sided and can be a bit cumbersome in the field (think Housesteads in a gale with horizontal rain... which is fairly typical ;-)

The only other alternative at the moment is one of the walkers' maps designed for National Trail freaks such as the Harvey's Hadrian's Wall Path map but these lack the quality of the OS mapping and, frankly, smell slightly of Kendal mint cake...

Mike Bishop

Quote:What you ideally need is the original 1972 Map of Hadrian's Wall (2nd edition) which is at the old two-and-a-half inches to a mile scale (1:25000) and has the Wall and its components superimposed in red and black (black for existing, red for supposed or known), but it is worth its weight in gold and very difficult to get hold of.
My 2nd edition ("reprinted with minor corrections, 1975") declares itself to be 1:31680, or 2 Inches to 1 Mile. I take it one of the minor alterations was a reduction in scale!

I may actually get around to deploying it this summer, if you'd be good enough to point out the best hostelries and watering holes along the way, Mike. Big Grin
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Awesome photos! Thanks!
Vale!

Antonivs Marivs Congianocvs
aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

My ancient coin collection:
[url:3lgwsbe7]http://www.congiano.com/MyCoins/index.htm[/url]
Quote:My 2nd edition ("reprinted with minor corrections, 1975") declares itself to be 1:31680, or 2 Inches to 1 Mile. I take it one of the minor alterations was a reduction in scale!

Well, that's what comes of not being able to find my copy to check it. Mea culpa. Mine is now sadly diminished by use and going to holes along all the creases. As for the guide to hostelries, I hadn't forgotten my promise, but was waiting until Dr Freeman and I (we were supposed to be walking the Wall in four days in April, but circumstances rendered this impossible) had been able to, er, double-check them to make sure I don't make any ill-advised recommendations ;-)

Mike Bishop

Mike Bishop wrote:

Quote:these lack the quality of the OS mapping and, frankly, smell slightly of Kendal mint cake...

Nowt wrong with Kendal Mint Cake, especially the dark chocolate covered version!
Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:Nowt wrong with Kendal Mint Cake, especially the dark chocolate covered version!

Nowt wrong with Kendal Mint Cake, especially the dark chocolate covered version!

But don't you find it can repeat on you? ;-)

Mike Bishop

Rectified....
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I have a copy of the 1964 OS Hadrian's Wall map. Any idea how much I'd get for that on fleabay?
:wink:

Harvey's maps take getting used to, but you never end up following a parish boundary thinking it's a footpath!!
Quote:But don't you find it can repeat on you? ;-) )

No that was another case of the phantom RAT posting bug! Big Grin
But if you do not like Kendal Mint Cake does that mean you do not like Rum butter either?
Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:does that mean you do not like Rum butter either?

Well I like rum and I like butter, but the two together just don't work for me.

Update on the flight: the aircraft is now grounded for its annual check (and hopefully to have its brakes fixed ;-) and should be sorted within two weeks. The weather in the north has been fairly grotty over the past few weeks so there have not been many opportunities missed. However, there is now a complicating factor in that circumstances dictate that I am away from today digging near Doncaster (no, I'm not looking for another shield!) which means when the call comes to fly, I will have to drive north, do the flight, then drive south again. Hey ho, how we suffer for our art! I shall be away for at least 4 and possibly as much as 8 weeks and there is no internet where I am going, so you'll most likely only hear from me every other weekend, if that. Once the flight happens, however, I will post the first piccies as soon as I can.

Mike Bishop

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Borders folk may descend from Africans from Hadrian\'s Wall Robert Vermaat 30 9,253 10-26-2021, 07:26 AM
Last Post: John1
  Hadrian's Wall in 198AD JenniFletcher 2 1,140 09-11-2017, 08:33 AM
Last Post: JenniFletcher
  The forts and their Garrsions in Northern England prior to Hadrian's Wall felixgallus 2 1,565 07-24-2016, 03:51 PM
Last Post: Fabricius Carbo