Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Folklore (Welcome to Amsterdam)
This weekend, the Dutch celebrate "Koninginnedag", which might be translated as "Monarchy Festival". The weather forecast is excellent, and even die-hard republicans generally enjoy it. I simply love it, and if it were possible, I'd invite you all for a stroll through the historical center of Amsterdam. But that's impossible. Still, you may like to join this folkloristic festival virtually.

And I invite all of you to tell something about your hometown's folklore. It's a small world, after all.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
ahh, Koninginnedag, the day when almost the entire country is orange...

great day!
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
My regular pub started celebrating today, and the festivities end on Monday night. I've been present before, it gets very messy, and the sea of orange burns into the retinas.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:the sea of orange burns into the retinas.
That's what we aim for, especially at football matches.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Greetings,
small world indeed....the Dutch monarcy is also interwoven with our own, as William III of Orange-Nassau was also king of England, married to Mary daughter of King James II.
and William V the last 'Stadtholder' of the Netherlands, was married to the daughter of George III of England.
That is just a small part...!
I wonder if my favourite bar is celebrating this...they seem to celebrate a lot of festivals....as they have a varied clientele of locals and tourists to the area...!!!
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-