Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help/Advise on unique belt construction
Hello,
Has anyone ever attempted to re-create the belts pictured here. I noticed the picture from a past topic on annoying belt tongues. I would like to try to re-produce one (or two for a double belt impression). Would this style of belt be earlier and be used without an apron? Any pictures or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Robbie Phillips / Paetus
Quote:Would this style of belt be earlier and be used without an apron?

The apron is intergral to the belt itself. The top strap only passes through the buckle allowing the strips to hang freely. It is the forerunner of the apron attachment.

A (retired) soldier in my group copied a similar style belt from the grave stele of Gnaeus Musius, aquilifer of LEG XIIII GMV. (CIL XIII, 06901)
http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/component/ ... Itemid,94/

If I can find a photo of his reconstruction I'll post it here.

the term 'unique' would suggest only one example existed, You posted two and I posted a third.. not so unique eh? :wink:
I agree the apron would be ideally included. You could either purchase 18g brass sheet on Ebay and cut out the plates with an angle grinder; then use a hammer and chisel to emboss or…

You could also purchase brass medium embossing foil, which is beyond easy to emboss, and then cold wield them to the plates of 18g brass.

Other will have other suggestions I’m sure… but be sure to post photos as you fabricate!
Vale!

Antonivs Marivs Congianocvs
aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

My ancient coin collection:
[url:3lgwsbe7]http://www.congiano.com/MyCoins/index.htm[/url]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Belt Apron Terminals - Construction Advice. Titus Marius Secundus 2 1,226 10-21-2013, 09:31 AM
Last Post: Titus Marius Secundus
  Belt Advice on Construction Titus Marius Secundus 75 16,099 10-10-2012, 05:09 PM
Last Post: Crispvs
  Leather belt construction Marcus Mummius 75 15,184 01-10-2009, 05:24 PM
Last Post: jvrjenivs