Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uderzo turns 80
Quote:As the Bread and Circuses blogger, Adrian Murdoch, notes, the classics-inspiring Albert Uderzo turns 80. The blog quotes the following: The idea of the funny gallic duo first turned up in...

Read more...

Source: About Ancient / Classical History
[size=75:j05zhzbv]Get the latest headlines from the About.com Ancient / Classical History GuideSite.[/size]

That man! Had I known wjhat damage he would do, I would never have enjoyed Asterix in my youth! :evil:

OK, ok, Asterix is good fun...

But let's face it, all those who want to do something at an event that's NOT Flavian (or should I say: Asterix-Roman :twisted: ) have a hard time convincing the organisers that they, too, can bring something to the general public.

Chariovalda and myself discussed this a bit today: to some organisers, we basically should not re-enact the historical past, but rather Asterix, ben Hur and Gladiator! 8)
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Robert we had the same problem here at a local 18th century fort. The little old ladies who ran the board thought everyone should look like Fess Parker!

[Image: fesshead.jpg]
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Yikes! Is that a live animal on top of his head? Confusedhock:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Methinks it's an alien brain parasite... :mrgreen:
Andreas Baede
LOL nope its a coonskin cap which were worn, but probably not very common. Confusedhock: The Dutch explorers who came down the river here in the 18th century might have worn them :lol:
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
That, or a Tribble...

Actually, Uderzo made, if I remember correctly, a comic called "Oumpah-pah le peau-rouge" (Oumpah-pah the Redskin), about the adventures of a big Indian and his thin white aristocratic French friend, the Chevalier de Pate...something. I think there was actually a trapper character in it with another deadish furry animal on his head.

Anyway, imagine what would have happened if "Oumpah-pah" had been more successful and Uderzo would have dedicated his entire life to it, rather than to Asterix...

American 18th century re-enactors would have complained about the audience's expectations of "Oumpah-pah" pioneers, trappers and Indians... :roll:

Ah...just found this...
[Image: asterix_oumpah_pah.gif]

Go on to here...[url:3q053f35]http://users.skynet.be/asterixlegaulois/divers/oumpah_pah.htm[/url]
Andreas Baede
Quote:Yikes! Is that a live animal on top of his head? Confusedhock:

Nothing wrong with that, We batavians are quite fond of roadkills on the helmet!
I used to get a different Asterix book every single Christmas.
I did prefer Obelix though, and his penchant for wild boar (scrunch!! scrunch!!).

I always wondered what exactly was in the magic potion Getafix concocted. :?
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum
Quote:
Vortigern Studies:wsga748b Wrote:Yikes! Is that a live animal on top of his head? Confusedhock:

Nothing wrong with that, We batavians are quite fond of roadkills on the helmet!

...as you can also seen in this Dutch painting from 1850 of the Batavian rebellion...

[Image: eed_bataven.jpg]

That was one big roadkill, though... :wink:
Andreas Baede
Actually Fess Parker set up his own very nice winery in California.
Fess Parker

Those coonskin caps were extremely popular with kids in the 1950's while the show was running. In a movie about the Alamo a while back, the character of Davy Crockett, who was a US Congressman, said that the coonskin cap was a newspaper's idea and nothing he would wear otherwise.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Quote: LOL nope its a coonskin cap which were worn, but probably not very common. The Dutch explorers who came down the river here in the 18th century might have worn them

A continuation of the Batavian traditions! Add some feathers and you have the Krefeld helmet!
http://www.romanarmy.net/batavianhelm.htm
so this is what the cat looks like when you have worn your helmet for a while.

Robert, I remember you wore a furry type of late- Roman Pilleus once.
Maybe you shouldn't have cut the tail off.
Would have looked cool dangling on your back from under your helmet.
Wim/Cordvs
Pvblivs Cordvs
(Wim van Broekhoven)
CORBVLO
I always enjoyed reading Asterix comics and I still do, at least the old ones. Anyhow, they got me interested in the Romans and I wanted to learn how it really was and not the comic version.

But one should see them as what they are, they are just comics, nothing less and nothing more. Of course it is annoying if people can't differentiate between comic and historical facts and if you get confronted by that at events.