Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ides of March
Greetings!

My wife teaches High School English, and in the middle of Shakespeares Julius Caesar.....she has asked me what happened to all that conspired against and assassinated Caesar. I can find no documentation or information on the topic.....can any of you advise?? Thanks for your help!!

Respectfully,

Wes
Titvs Calidivs Agricola
Wes Olson

Twas a woman that drove me to drink, and I never thanked her. W.C. Fields
Wes-

Here is a quick summary:

Wikipedia Entry for Liberatores
Only few of the liberatores are known.

Marcus Junius Brutus - committed suicide after the Second Battle of Philippi
Gaius Cassius Longinus - committed suicide after the First Battle of Philippi
Servius Sulpicius Galba - condemned to death by the Pedian Law
Quintus Ligarius - ?
Publius Servilius Casca - committed suicide after the Battle of Philippi
Gaius Casca - ?
Decimus Junius Brutus Albinus - After the Battle of Mutina, he tried to reach Cassius & Brutus in Macedonia. He was killed while on the way to Macedonia, by a Gallic chieftain loyal to Mmarcus Antonius.
Tillius Cimber - killed in the Battle of Philippi
Gaius Trebonius - murdered by Publius Cornelius Dolabella

Gnaeus Domitius Ahenobarbus (not sure if he was one of the assassins, or just a supporter of the assassins) - condemned to death by the Pedian Law, but escaped. Fought several naval battles against the 2nd Triumvirate, but was later reconciled by Marcus Antonius and then became governor of Bithynia.
First supported Marcus Antonius during his war against Octavianus, but changed sides just before the Battle of Actium. Died soon afterwards.
[size=75:18gu2k6n]- Roy Aarts[/size]
Greetings!

There are no doubt some web sites that could give you a good brief on the assassination and its aftermath - perhaps you have tried them already - as for texts, there are several (of course) as this is probably one of the most written about periods in Roman history.

To my mind there are two texts you might find of use.

The first is Rubicon by Tom Holland, not the most scholarly work perhaps but certainly one of the most accessible and readable, full of interesting asides and fascinating tid bits as well as the main events.

http://www.amazon.com/Rubicon-Tom-Holland/dp/034911563X

For a somewhat more radical view of the whys and wherefores of the assassination I would highly recommend The Assassination of Julius Caesar A People's History by Michael Parenti. In my opinion (and I know there are members of our forum who do not agree) this is one of the very best examinations of the people and events that marked the end of the Republic and the birth of the principate.

http://www.michaelparenti.org/Caesar.html

I'm certain other members will write in with their recommendations and by day's end you should have a comprehensive list of sources that will answer every questions you have, and even a few you have not thought of yet.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
My thanks to all!!! Very helpful!

Wes
Titvs Calidivs Agricola
Wes Olson

Twas a woman that drove me to drink, and I never thanked her. W.C. Fields
Found several more names of Liberatores.
I could only find info about the death of Pontius Aquila, nothing about the death of the others.

Caecilius Bucilianus
The brother of Caecilius Bucilianus
Rubrius Ruga
Marcus Spurius
Sextius Naso

Pontius Aquila - killed in the Battle of Mutina
Lucius Minucius Basilus
Pacuvius Antistius Labeo
Publius Turullius
Gaius Cassius Parmensis
Petronius

Source (in German):