Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reconstructing a 6th c. Baldenheim spangenhelm
Quote:At long last, here's my new helmet
That looks great! A laudes for you!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Thanks, Robert.

I'm now working earnestly on my scale shirt.
It should be a matter of weeks before completion.

~Theo
Jaime
Awesome, Theo Confusedhock: ! I want one too!!!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Ave Virilis,

Thanks for the praise.

I found a couple of prefabricated parts that were incorporated into the helmet. Like the embossed brow band and the knob piece.

If you like I can tell you where to find these. They were inexpensive and probably helped keep the overall cost down, IMO.

~Theo
Jaime
Uhhh...yes, please share!
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Your mother wears caligae!
Yes, please!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Good thinking, Franklin.

Better to post it here for everyone. Smile

I purchased the embossed brass band from this website :
http://www.christmasforest.com/cat.taf? ... E146408023

It's just a Christmas wreath for your front door. I needed to buy two of them for my helmet. As you can see, they cost $20 (USD) each. The width is perfect - 1.25 inches.

Funny how I stumbled onto it. I was just browsing the web for something unrelated and saw it. Later I began to research Baldenheim spangenhelms and noticed the decorative brow bands they had (like this example). When I saw the photos I remembered that brass piece I bumped into earlier on the web weeks earlier.

Although the piece has a floral design like the original helmets it isn't perfect, of course. If you really scrutinize it it looks a bit modern, IMO. But considering the low cost I think it works very well.

As for the brass knob piece, you can easily find it by using Google. Click the "shopping" tab on top of the page, then type in "brass finial". Finials are decorative knobs that screw onto the top of lamps. You can choose from many different designs, sizes, and finishes. I choose the bullet-shaped one which only costs a couple of bucks.

But you can probably find many of these in your local lamp store. I would check there before ordering online. Who knows ?, you may find something better.

If anyone has questions I'll be happy to answer them.

Good luck.

~Theo
Jaime
Thanks Theo, very creative!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
If it took two pieces of trim, where are the seams and how did you hide them?
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
There are two seams but they are on the back and left side. I didn't take photos from those angles, but I wasn't intentionally hiding them. Even on the original helmet you can see the seam dead in the center between the eyes. If you look closely you can see the ends don't quite match up on the original.

If I wanted to hide them for some reason, I would try to cleverly place the rivets over or next to the seem, I suppose. But I think it's unnecessary.
Jaime
Actually, you can see a seam in this photo.

See right above where the chain mail starts.

As I said, not really noticeable, even seeing it in person.

~Theo
Jaime
Quote:Thanks for the praise fratres Big Grin

As I promised I will post a detailed 'How To' when I have the time (but this will take a while Sad ). I took a lot of photograps during the construction process and can give a step by step description.

Alright Jef, I'm calling you out! This was almost a year ago. Even if you don't have time to type out descriptions, at least post the pics!
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Quote:
Marcus Mummius:3tpbblvj Wrote:Thanks for the praise fratres Big Grin

As I promised I will post a detailed 'How To' when I have the time (but this will take a while Sad ). I took a lot of photograps during the construction process and can give a step by step description.

Alright Jef, I'm calling you out! This was almost a year ago. Even if you don't have time to type out descriptions, at least post the pics!

LOL, actually, when Theo posted the pictures of his helmet I looked for the pictures of mine. I couldn't find them anymore. But I will take some and post them, I promise :wink:
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Noooooo! So no pictures of the helmet in progress? Sad, sad, sad.
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Quote:Noooooo! So no pictures of the helmet in progress? Sad, sad, sad.

I still have the work in progress pictures. Post them one of the following days. It's just pictures of the completed helmet I haven't got anymore, but I still got the helmet Smile
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Reconstructing a 6th c. Baldenheim spangenhelm Marcus Mummius 0 877 04-24-2007, 09:02 AM
Last Post: Marcus Mummius