Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reconstructing a 6th c. Baldenheim spangenhelm
Ah if you are talking about the photograph you posted. All the helmets of the Baldenheimtype, and similar types have holes all around the rim of the helmet and all around the border of the cheekguards.

The holes were for the attachment of the aventail, the cheekguards and the edging, lining. I know that inside the helmet from Stössen (Baldenheimtype) traces of linen were found, sugesting a fabric liner instead of a leather one. The edging always seems to have been leather though.

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote:there is a new book from the römisch-germanischen zentralmuseum mainz:

Mahand Vogt
Spangenhelme
Baldenheim und verwandte Typen

Die kleine Gruppe der frühmittelalterlichen Helme stößt seit Jahrzehnten auf reges Interesse in der archäologischen Forschung. Besonders die teilweise vergoldeten und reich verzierten Spangenhelme vom Typ Baldenheim wurden immer wieder diskutiert, fanden sie sich doch nördlich der Alpen zumeist in reich ausgestatteten Kriegergräbern des 5. und 6. Jahrhunderts. Die großräumige Verbreitung dieser Helme von Nordafrika bis nach Gotland ließ aber bislang eine zusammenfassende Bearbeitung auf der Grundlage einer genauen Autopsie der Originalfunde unmöglich erscheinen. Wie wichtig sorgfältige Dokumentationen der verwendeten Punzen sowie vergleichende technische Untersuchungen zum Aufbau und zur Konstruktion gerade für Fragen der Herstellungszentren sind, belegt nun die vorliegende Gesamtaufnahme. Untersucht werden u.a. Datierung, Herkunft der Spangenhelmform sowie Ikonographie und Ikonologie der für den Helmschmuck verwendeten Darstellungen. Der umfangreiche Katalog umfasst die detaillierte Beschreibung aller bekannter Spangen-, Band- und Band-Spangen-Helme, ergänzt durch zahlreiche Zeichnungen und Photographien.
Graphische Abrollungen aller weitgehend vollständig erhaltenen Helme im Maßstab 2:3 sind dem Buch als Beilagen beigefügt.

Kataloge des RGZM Band 39 (2006), 322 S., 108 Abb., 59 Taf., 8 Farbtaf., 22 Beilagen
ISBN 978-3-88467-100-9
90,– €

That is an amazing book. I just got my copy today. I could not believe my eyes. I can read German but not as well as may be needed to delve into the depths of this magnificent book!
Doug Strong
[url:xl2j37u3]http://talbotsfineaccessories.com/[/url]
[url:xl2j37u3]http://www.armourresearchsociety.org/[/url]
Quote:
Publius Aelius Lucius:244u6uaz Wrote:there is a new book from the römisch-germanischen zentralmuseum mainz:

Mahand Vogt
Spangenhelme

Die kleine Gruppe der frühmittelalterlichen Helme stößt seit Jahrzehnten auf reges Interesse in der archäologischen Forschung. Besonders die teilweise vergoldeten und reich verzierten Spangenhelme vom Typ Baldenheim wurden immer wieder diskutiert, fanden sie sich doch nördlich der Alpen zumeist in reich ausgestatteten Kriegergräbern des 5. und 6. Jahrhunderts. Die großräumige Verbreitung dieser Helme von Nordafrika bis nach Gotland ließ aber bislang eine zusammenfassende Bearbeitung auf der Grundlage einer genauen Autopsie der Originalfunde unmöglich erscheinen. Wie wichtig sorgfältige Dokumentationen der verwendeten Punzen sowie vergleichende technische Untersuchungen zum Aufbau und zur Konstruktion gerade für Fragen der Herstellungszentren sind, belegt nun die vorliegende Gesamtaufnahme. Untersucht werden u.a. Datierung, Herkunft der Spangenhelmform sowie Ikonographie und Ikonologie der für den Helmschmuck verwendeten Darstellungen. Der umfangreiche Katalog umfasst die detaillierte Beschreibung aller bekannter Spangen-, Band- und Band-Spangen-Helme, ergänzt durch zahlreiche Zeichnungen und Photographien.
Graphische Abrollungen aller weitgehend vollständig erhaltenen Helme im Maßstab 2:3 sind dem Buch als Beilagen beigefügt.

Kataloge des RGZM Band 39 (2006), 322 S., 108 Abb., 59 Taf., 8 Farbtaf., 22 Beilagen
ISBN 978-3-88467-100-9
90,– €

That is an amazing book. I just got my copy today. I could not believe my eyes. I can read German but not as well as may be needed to delve into the depths of this magnificent book!

is it richly illutrated ?
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
In a month of so I'm planning to put here on RAT pictures of my finished Baldenheim helmet and a step by step description of the construction proces.

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
That would be much welcomed, Jef!
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Your mother wears caligae!
Quote:
Doug Strong:2s2qwdq0 Wrote:
Publius Aelius Lucius:2s2qwdq0 Wrote:there is a new book from the römisch-germanischen zentralmuseum mainz:

Mahand Vogt
Spangenhelme

ISBN 978-3-88467-100-9
90,– €

is it richly illutrated ?
It is a detailed book on every helm of the type known to survive.
It is loaded with photos (both black and white and color) and drawings and beautiful 2/3 scale schematics of 22 of the helms that are significantly complete. For one who makes armour, such as myself, this is like handing me a pattern book!
Doug Strong
Quote:It is a detailed book on every helm of the type known to survive.
It is loaded with photos (both black and white and color) and drawings and beautiful 2/3 scale schematics of 22 of the helms that are significantly complete. For one who makes armour, such as myself, this is like handing me a pattern book!

It's indeed a great book. I made extensive use of one of the 2/3 scale roll-out drawings to do the decoration on my helmet.

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Do they do similar books about other types of helmet?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Do they do similar books about other types of helmet?

Books like these are very rare sadly Cry

How great would it be if one with every known Roman helmet in it existed! We can only dream :roll:
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote:For that we would need leather remains actually found with the original helmet. As far as I'm aware that hasn't been found. (I could be worng - it happens occasionally).

More than one of the surviving spangen helms have calcified leather remains on the edges. It is sufficient to see how the leathe rwas atached to the armour. The book cited above goes into detail.
Doug Strong
Quote:
egfroth:17p1rst9 Wrote:For that we would need leather remains actually found with the original helmet. As far as I'm aware that hasn't been found. (I could be worng - it happens occasionally).

More than one of the surviving spangen helms have calcified leather remains on the edges. It is sufficient to see how the leathe rwas atached to the armour. The book cited above goes into detail.

According to the book inside some of the helmets traces of fabric (I believe linen) was found, leather was indeed found on the edges. So leather edging and padded linen inside would be the most likely.
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Any progress on that helmet Jef?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Any progress on that helmet Jef?

Yes, it's finished since some months. But I still have to write a "how to", which I mean to do. But I'm too busy at the moment Confused

I will try to take pictures soon and post them. I already have lot's of pictures, but not of the finished helmet Smile

Kind regards,
Jef
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Pics! Pics! Pics!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Still haven't able to take pictures, but here's one to give an impression. Don't mind the 1st century kit I'm wearing. Someone asked me to put on the helmet when we were having a 1st century event.

[Image: spangenhelm-helm.jpg]

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Reconstructing a 6th c. Baldenheim spangenhelm Marcus Mummius 0 895 04-24-2007, 09:02 AM
Last Post: Marcus Mummius