Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finished metalframer project
And it's finally getting somewhere (slowly but surely). I've welded many of the necessary parts but quite a few still remain to be inserted. That'll take time though, because of the army, but...

Most of the construction is made of simple scrap steel- I have no money for professional class smiths workshop, so it's pretty crude looking. Some parts were made in a machine building plant with a plasma cutter, though. Didn't cost much with some relations and they're better than ones I could have done myself. I based the construction on my own planning, some model was taken from Heron's design(found a diagram of it somewhere).

What do you think?
Juuso Laasonen
Way to go Juuso Confusedhock: !
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Juuso,
It looks like you have made a great start. The machine work is very nice. I assume from the width of the "little ladder" that you are building it as an out swinger. What type of base are you making?
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
Well, I was thinking about using my old base for this one, but I'm not sure. It's not that accurate historically...so I'm taking suggestions on that. Smile
Juuso Laasonen
I've previously posted what I think is the most likely design for a large iron framer base in the Carroballista thread. The design (I call it a "Lazy Rho" because from the side it looks like a leaning Greek letter) is based on Trajan's column and intended for use with a cart as a carroballista. When used dismounted outside the cart it needs the raised log cribbing seen on the column. Most people follow Alan Wilkins' example and use a taller base like the one seen on the Cupid Gem. I call that type the Itallic A because of it's shape as well. That type is easier to use as a stand alone weapon, but in my opinion the engine on the cupid gem is a wood framer. Therefore the evidence favors the shorter base. Whatever design you choose, please do not attach wheels directly to the base and call it a carroballista. It's a cool idea, but there is no credible evidence to support doing so.
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
Hello again, it has been a while...

The ballista now looks like this, I've just got to make the holders for the upper strut to finish the frame. After that I'll insert the ropes to the frame and make the arms. They'll be made out of metal, as is appropriate. It'll soon be ready, the only problem is how to drill a straght hole in the wood for the attachment point of the frame to the stock. :|

The upper strut also lacks the arch that should be there, because I don't have anything to make it with. I'll have to assign someone to the job...

Sorry for the poor quality of the image, I suck at taking pictures! :?
Juuso Laasonen
Right, now the thing is ready, just minor things to finish like cleaning the metal parts from paint and discolouring and adding good stoppers. Didn't take more than 1,5 years to actually finish- Big Grin The torsion works ok, and it pierces quite a thick metal plate-

The bad thing with this is that I don't really have the time to do anything with it, so I'd be willing to sell the whole thing(although I doubt anyone else will have use for it either)- :?
Juuso Laasonen