Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Question for Re-enactors: Why do it?
World conquest..... did any one mention world conquest? Confusedhock: :lol: :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I have always enjoyed history, but my interest in the Roman military started when I was very young. Like most of us here, I was forced to go to Sunday School. Every year both parents and child are compelled to participate in the Nativity Scene featuring the 4 and 5 year old crowd. The entire experience was excruciating for a lot of us both parent and child, but there is no escape. That year I was made a shepherd boy. Wear a bathrobe and a towel and stand in front of two hundred people who look very uncomfortable. I should note that I am from the same area of the southwest where Billy the Kid was made famous during the Lincoln County range wars, part of which was over sheep herding. According to tradition, sheep ruined the range for cattle ranching. All my neighbors were old line cattle ranching families, and shepherds were not held in very high esteem. So much more the humiliation.

Why, I asked could not I be Roman? They had armor and everything. "Because this is not about the Romans." ..."But they ruled the world didn't they?"... Be quiet small child, and put on your bathrobe.

Finally, when it was all over some enormous woman with a ridiculous hat came over and pinched my cheek, and said " He looks JUST like a little shepherd boy!" I had to grit my teeth and try to smile, but inside I made a promise that I would never be forced to dress as a shepherd boy ever again. I wanted to be like the Romans, and nothing would stop me. I weaseled my parents for my first suit of armor when I was 5. It was a Napoleonic Cuirassier amour, but it worked for me.

Edit: Upon reflection, I recommend the 3rd century panoply as the best defense against cheek pinching ladies with ridiculous hats, what with the developed facial protection of helmets like the Friedburg or Buch types, and all...

Ralph Izard
Quote:I had to grit my teeth and try to smile, but inside I made a promise that I would never be forced to dress as a shepherd boy ever again. I wanted to be like the Romans, and nothing would stop me. I weaseled my parents for first suit of armor when I was 5.

Brilliant. Big Grin Well done Ralph!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I wanted to research and portary someone from a fascinating and historical culture. I wanted to meet barbarian re-enactors and kill them. I wanted to be the first kid on my block to kill a Gaullic Chieftain.

Seriously, I don't know why I do this. I know that I enjoying re-enacting what it may have been like in Ancient Rome!

I think everyone is interested in history know matter what time it was. I may be cowboys from the American West, WWII aircraft, architecture from the Victorian period in England, or painting from the Renaissance. People just don't understand Roman Re-enacting because they have never seen it before.
Joshua B. Davis

Marius Agorius Donatus Minius Germanicus
Optio Centuriae
Legio VI FFC, Cohors Flavus
[url:vat9d7f9]http://legvi.tripod.com[/url]

"Do or do not do, their is no try!" Yoda
Well, as one who is going to start reenacting (joining Comitatus, maybe the cavalry! Big Grin P) then.
Dave Bell/Secvndvs

Comitatus
[Image: comitatus.jpg]

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.comitatus.net">www.comitatus.net
Quote:For me, it's family tradition - not reenactment, but being a warrior. The warrior spirit runs in my blood. I'm at least the third generation in a row, to serve in an armed conflict. Also looking at my family coat of arms, a few items show that my family earned military honors a few centuries ago as well.

Somewhere along my medieval and Roman recreations, I figure I'm touching a part of my own family's history.

I fully understand that sense of touching the past and your ancestral heritage.. :wink:
That is something else, that I know applies to others, including myself....
Not only past lives as in the usual sense, but also reliving a past ancestral life...
I've said before, that I feel those with a strong sense of connection with periods or people in the past, have a past life or ancestral memory that is calling to them.
I've certainly come across some strange coincidences in recent years, whilst researching ancestry etc....!!

An amusing thing, which only recently occured to me...
when small I adored Hercules (and Steve Reeves) and grew up with a love for ancient Greece, the Trojan war and Alexander. I then 'drifted' into a stronger love for the 'real' Arthurian and also early Vikingr maybe as these were of my own ancestral peoples and their presence was all around me.
Now is it strange that I should have the greatest admiration for Alexander the Great and the Spartans...who claimed descent from Hercules....!
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
As a non re enactor I think it is great that someone wants to re create an era gone by?

What better way to see first hand how ancient civilisatiosn lived. How thought provoking it has been, on issues that in teh past I never gave a second thought but now through re enactment we can ask how & why, clothing, armoury, swords, tactics were actually used.

Instead of asking why do it..maybe ask why did they?
Rubicon

"let the die be cast "

(Stefano Rinaldo)
See Angus, firstly I can say that the ancient roman (ad greek) military reenactment is "different" from the other periods reenactment because it involves a "feeling". Since that being "Roman" was a state of mind, reenacting roman, for many of us, can start from "feeling" ourselves roman in a similar and serene (due to the obvious differences) state of mind. However, other people reenact roman for the same reasons they could reenact any other period, just a hobby like any other.

Personally, I've always felt a sort of "Stendhal syndrome" when facing the roman antiquity and I feel as well something like that when I wear my armour. So much, that rarely I wear it in the full kit, considering that act like something of "religious". I'm glad so. :wink:
For example, my wife, my daughter, relatives and friends have seen me in full kit just once at the Ostia event in 2003, and just because I was the organizer...

Vale,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
I collect equipment and costume because of my personal love for history and to be able to teach other with appropriate props.

I go to living history and re-enactments for the social aspects. The meeting of many people with the same interests is a great way to interact with those who have similar pursuits. I also find that there are many military veterans in this hobby, and we also have a special bond, and military re-enactment allows us to remember our youth and deal with the past.
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question for re-enactors Alexand96 22 4,667 11-01-2011, 03:54 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius
  A question for all Roman re-enactors Gregg 11 2,354 06-27-2004, 04:31 PM
Last Post: TIBISIVS