Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Question for Re-enactors: Why do it?
I would like to get some insight into what motivates a Roman enthusiast past passive enthusiasm? Why does anyone disrupt a normal existance with episodic adventures into parallel historic worlds?
Angus Finnigan
Why would we not do it! We live in the best of times where we can choose to spend a few moments in the past at our leasure and then return to our comfie time again.
Escapism
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
http://www.fectio.org.uk/articles/whowantstobe.htm
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Well, let's see.................

1- It's fun
2- You get to meet people who share the same interests
3- You can collect all the cool stuff you wish was available when you
were a kid
4-Now you can afford it (?? sort of)
5- You get to share your passion with the public(who seem to enjoy it just as much as you do)
6- It's educational for everybody
7- We're frustrated actors
8-It gives you a small taste of life in another time/place
9-You learn skills you may not know you had.
10- Sometimes you even get paid--did I say it was fun???

There's a drop in the bucket on why we do it. I'm sure someone will have much more to add. (Normal existance??????? :roll: )
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
I could add that you go to all kinds of interesting places that are connected to the past (if your group is not re-enacting in the local car park, of course :twisted: ), such as ancient ruins, castles, archaeological parks.

I get to work with kids a lot, and get invited to archaeological digs, etc.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
And you get a chance to meet interesting people and fight them.... and then have a beer with them!
Salve!

Personally, I’ve always enjoyed movies and TV series about ancient history, enjoyed studying the topic, and I also collect ancient coins.

I originally wanted to pick up a Roman Office costume for Halloween two years ago… that progressed into researching what the Romans actually wore, which lead me to this forum, which led me to the concept of "I’d have to make a lot of it myself" if I wanted it authentic or spend a fortune… which brings me to today.

There’s also a great deal of satisfaction (aka ‘fun’) in putting together your impression, buying just the right item, perhaps doing a little authentic customization, making parts, showing off what you did, the learning of "how to do it"… how to fabricate items is also enjoyable.

I guess in the end it’s a hobby like, or at least similar to, any other.
Vale!

Antonivs Marivs Congianocvs
aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

My ancient coin collection:
[url:3lgwsbe7]http://www.congiano.com/MyCoins/index.htm[/url]
Why people do sky-diving, why they do banjee-jumping, why they watch car and motorbike races? Whu they watch football or why they play football?
Why...why anything in the last analysis?

Kind regards
Helps to remember past lifes...
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
I could say that it's educational. I'm a history teacher. I could say that I can dress up now like the actors in past Roman movies. That's fun. I could tell you that men in ancient armor tend to be babe magnets. That's true as well, although for me it is a pleasant consequence rather than an intended ploy. All of these things, and other things mentioned in the post are true. The chief reason for me, however, is the burning desire to see what set the Roman people apart from the rest of the world, and allowed them to rule the world from east to west from 500 BC until 1453 AD. If I can catch a glimpse of what that wonderful thing is, I know one more thing, and can have fun in the process, babe magnet notwithstanding.

Tiberius/Jeff
LEG~XX
T.Fabius Rufio/Jeff Crean
LEG~XX

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx">www.larp.com/legioxx
On top of what everyone else said, I enjoy the challenge. I enjoy the challenge of researching and building gear, I enjoy helping others do the same when I can, and getting the same courtesy back. I enjoy sharing ideas with others, and bouncing concepts around to come up with the best solution to something.

I also enjoy the challenges of having a reenactment group, and the circle of friends that brings.

Really, I can't see any reason not to do it.

Legion: TBD
Knowing that others understand your passion and accept it as normal.... :wink: :wink: !
To enjoy the recreation of a period you find fascinating and/or feel you lived in before (as Favi says)
Being able to take part in battles without being killed for real....!
Having fun with others who share the same interests for what would otherwise be 'just another wet weekend'
Furthering your knowledge of your chosen period/s
Being able to pass on acquired knowledge of your period to others including the general public
Being virtually obsessed with the past, what else do you expect me to do..... :lol: :lol:
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
One of the coolest things I can say, from Roman and my 18th century re-enacting, is getting kids interested in learning! Seeing the facial expressions of a kid holding a 2000 year old coin and seeing "the light come on" knowing that they want to know more.

And, same as above, I have never met better or nicer people, than in the re-enactment community. Granted there are exceptions to every group, but, as stated above, where else can you meet someone, kill them, then have a Beer after and walk away best of friends after 10 minutes of talking. Even if you see that person once a year!!

YOU, re-enactors make it happen!!

Respectfully,

Wes
Titvs Calidivs Agricola
Wes Olson

Twas a woman that drove me to drink, and I never thanked her. W.C. Fields
For me, it's family tradition - not reenactment, but being a warrior. The warrior spirit runs in my blood. I'm at least the third generation in a row, to serve in an armed conflict. Also looking at my family coat of arms, a few items show that my family earned military honors a few centuries ago as well.

Somewhere along my medieval and Roman recreations, I figure I'm touching a part of my own family's history.
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question for re-enactors Alexand96 22 4,670 11-01-2011, 03:54 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius
  A question for all Roman re-enactors Gregg 11 2,354 06-27-2004, 04:31 PM
Last Post: TIBISIVS