Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4th Century Baldrics
I just ordered a spatha for my late-Roman kit. so I need to make a baldric.

I am looking some examples of 4th century baldrics.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
I'm with you in waiting for the response on this one. I've seen pictures in books, but haven't seen the archaeological related documentation.

Derek D. Estabrook
Derek D. Estabrook
Because, to my knowledge, there are no archaeological remains nor even a decent contemporary depiction of such thing... Sad

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Aitor thank you for confirming my findings.

I will make one from the hide of a Wampus Cat with a Jackalope horn buckle now.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Jackalopes are New World creatures and their horn probably would not have been available for buckle making to the average 4th century Roman. Unless you refer to the great jackalope migration to China in about AD375, but most of those were killed by the Asian Jackalope flu, probably brought on by swimming the Bering Strait in winter. You whould need to prove that the Jackalope horn was traded from China to Rome in the 4th century.
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
For a minute there, I thought you were giving a sensible answer! Confusedhock:

Quote:Jackalopes are New World creatures and their horn probably would not have been available for buckle making to the average 4th century Roman. Unless you refer to the great jackalope migration to China in about AD375, but most of those were killed by the Asian Jackalope flu, probably brought on by swimming the Bering Strait in winter. You whould need to prove that the Jackalope horn was traded from China to Rome in the 4th century.
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.