Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting way of wearing sagum
I took this picture two years ago in Kopenhagen, Ny Carlsberg Glyptothek.
As I remember, the inscription was lost and there was no description of finding place or date.
It seems to show a vexillarius of the mid to late 2nd Century (hair and beard).
I took the foto because of the interesting way this man is wearing his sagum. Never seen that before!
Puzzling is broad shoulder-belt. Neither sword nor shield (on back) is depicted. Perhaps this belt is used to hold the folds of the sagum?

Greets,

Decebalus
Andreas Gagelmann
Berlin, Germany
Here`s the picture:
Andreas Gagelmann
Berlin, Germany
He looks vaguely like a Scot wearing the plaid....
I don't know the history of the plaid, as in where the idea originated, but could this be the forebear worn by a Celtic Legionary...?
You can see a round clasp holding the sagum just above the 'sword belt'
What does he have his right hand on...?
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
A vexillum, Cristina 8)

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Yeah, what does he have his right hand on, as his left hand is on a vexillum? :wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Avete omnes,

Perhaps he holds his shield and the helmet on the ground, a feature I've seen on a Gladiatorian gravestone.

It would be nice, if Decebalus could post a bigger photo, surely he made one with better details.

Greets Uwe
Greets - Uwe
Ooops, right hand... :oops:
Well, through a wild guess, it could be a patera over an perfume burner... :?

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
...or a large seated cat. No wait, this is the wrong thread. Sorry, don't kill me. Smile
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
looks like a gallic helmet! Or a face mask?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Here`s a close-up of the object on his right side.
Looking at the original my first thougt was that he is throwing a flower into the urn-like object and the bigger round thing between his fingers and the "urn" would be the opened lid. Perhaps he`s in the process of sacrifice??

Greets,

Decebalus/Andreas Gagelmann
Andreas Gagelmann
Berlin, Germany
It is clear for me... 8)
Look at the approx. contemporary sacrificing tribune of the Dura wall painting:
[Image: Terentius.jpg]

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
Getting back to the cloak chaps, he could in fact be wearing an Exomis tunic A Greek style garment the best illustrated example of which is the scene of Aeneas being treated for a leg wound on a Pompeii wall painting. I would like to see a better picture however.
Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:...or a large seated cat. No wait, this is the wrong thread. Sorry, don't kill me. Smile
I thought it looked like a cat too....but didn't want to mention it.... :lol:
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Could the broad band not actualy be part of the sagum, having been rolled up at the narrow ends, draped around the body in an 8 shape and then pinned?
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin