Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Information on Hoplite\'s armour
Hello boys...I'm fan of hoplite and of Achilles. I wanted know the names of hoplite's arms. I know this but I'm not sure:

I refer about Achille's armour in film Troy:

Aspis = Shield (beotian????)
Xiphos = Sword
Knemides = Leg greaves
Kranos = Helmet
Dory = Spear
Thorax= Cuirass
armlets= ???????

whic is the name of armlets???? And which is the greek name of armour (helm+greaves+cuirass without shield)???

See you soon:-)
The Greek name for armour is panoply (panoplia).
Ioannis Georganas, PhD
Secretary and Newsletter Editor
The Society of Ancient Military Historians
http://www.ancientmilitaryhistorians.org/

"Armlets" as seen in the movies didn't exist. There are rare instances of actual lower arm guards in the Bronze Age and Early Iron Age, but the things you see in films don't resemble them. Hollywood puts arm thingies of some sort on EVERYone, apparently because it is forbidden to expose the male wrist.

A good rule of thumb is to assume that everything you see in a movie is wrong, and work from there. If a few actual historical bits work their way in, that's just gravy. If you like history and like the movies, be careful to keep them completely separated in your mind!

Khaire,

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
"Armlets" are often used in movies/TV shows/theater when the actor has arms that are too skinny and need to look "beefier". Some times elastic lacing is used to hold them in place. I used to do props and costuming in a previous (underpaid/overworked) life. The lower "bracers" hide a multitude of tattoos. Bruises, too, if stage-fight choreography fails.
Cheryl Boeckmann
I have found this two greek word for armlets but I'm not sure:

Peribraxionio
Cheir
Yeap,the word is correct.Actually there are armlets from the Archaic periodbut they're rare.I've seen only one in Connolly.It resembles medieval armour,though!You really don't need such equipment to portrey a classical hoplite.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Quote:I have found this two greek word for armlets but I'm not sure:

Peribraxionio
Cheir

Cheir refers, IIRC, more specifically to the arm hoops worn mostly by later Hellenistic troops- the manica of the Romans.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
round the writst is: perikarpio 1 , perikarpia many

on the arm is: EPICHEIRIS 1, EPICHEIRIDES many

Kind regards
Yes,it was a perikarpio I saw in Connolly,but it does not cover only the wrist,it continues to the elbow.Very rare.
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Welcome to the forum Hamal2...can you add your real name into your signature? Thanks!

Legion: TBD

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spartan Hoplite Impression - was "Athenian Hoplite&quot rogue_artist 30 13,825 08-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite