Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An open invitation from the Batavians!
Quote:On the Batavian helmets, here may be a suggestion. When looking at the Deepeeka offerings, I came across the AH6314 Celtic "Port Bei Nedau" Helmet (Celtic helmets). This looks a lot like the Batavian version posted by Peroni and would be easy to decorate the Batavian way. It would save cutting up a perfectly good Gallic type helmet (unless you once bought the Trooper, no holds barred then ), as this seems to have all the right features to modify.

Hi Robert,

I made my ‘Krefeld’ Batavian helmet from a Deepeeka Trooper! As it had the required eyebrow decoration similar to the Gallic C. The Port type helmet which Deepeeka are releasing is very similar to the helmet found at Kessel (NL) during dredging operations. (Present whereabouts unknown other than ‘The Stolzenbach collection’). The Kessel helmet IIRC is the oldest iron helmet to be found in the area. The eyebrow decoration is different, but as a helmet ‘style’ it would be perfect for ‘early’ Batavian use.

The original helmet has no neck guard or cheek guards. These were either salvaged prior to deposition or removed to suit Batavian tastes.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/ ... lLith1.jpg

My reconstruction..Ignore the position of the cheek guard hinge rivets :wink:
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/ ... essel2.jpg

Quote: Any feedback on how many groups are going Batavian aux?

Yes, so far we have interest from the following..

COH III BAT- Sweden (Martin Wallgren’s group)
COH VIIII BAT – Ireland (Hibernia) attached to Leg VIII AVG (Martin McAree’s group)
COH I BAT (vexillatio peregrinus)- USA Georgia attached to LEG XI CL pf (Edge Gibbons group)
COH I BAT (vexillatio peregrinus)- USA West Virginia attached to LEG XIIII GMV (Paul Mullins’ Group)
COH I BAT (vexillatio peregrinus)- United Arab Emirates Barry C
COH I BAT (vexillatio peregrinus)- Netherlands Wim & Robert's group
COH I BAT (vexillatio peregrinus)- France Christophe

Messages In This Thread
batavian - by pvblivs cordvs - 04-16-2007, 12:34 PM
Re: batavian - by Jvrjenivs - 04-16-2007, 12:41 PM
site - by pvblivs cordvs - 04-16-2007, 12:44 PM
A Call to Arms - by Celer - 04-16-2007, 02:11 PM
Re: A Call to Arms - by Gaius Julius Caesar - 04-16-2007, 05:29 PM
Woerden - by pvblivs cordvs - 04-16-2007, 08:31 PM
event - by Graham Sumner - 04-20-2007, 10:57 AM
drill - by Graham Sumner - 04-20-2007, 12:02 PM