Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I, Claudius
Quote:If you think that's bad, Manimal (Simon MacCorkindale) turns up in one episode!

Ahh yes...quality tv. Of course Inspector Wexford is also Tiberius in his spare time, or is it the other way round?
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Quote:So when you are in your plane are you trusting in radar and praying to God or more accurately the other way around? Big Grin

Mk I eyeballs on both sides, as my plane has no radar and is well-nigh invisible to said device. However, the tendency to greet a bounced landing with 'booms-a-daisy... it's enough to make you weep...' is almost insuperable.

Wasn't Drusus 'The Saint' (do doodly do-do-do) at some point?

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Quote:Or Macro who became Gimli via shouting Indeee!
Is there some strange connection here because Angus McBride seems to have Gimli as a human model in all his latest roman prints :wink: ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Mike Bishop wrote:
Quote:Mk I eyeballs on both sides, as my plane has no radar and is well-nigh invisible to said device. However, the tendency to greet a bounced landing with 'booms-a-daisy... it's enough to make you weep...' is almost insuperable.

Ah......undercarriage lever a bit sticky was it sir?

Quote:Wasn't Drusus 'The Saint' (do doodly do-do-do) at some point?
Indeed he was, (Ian Ogilvy). Lt Gruber (Guy Siner) from 'ALLO ALLO' was also in there too! Not forgetting that (Sian Phillips) Livia did an about face and fought the Romans, as Boudicca in 'Warrior Queen'!

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
You're all forgetting Castor, played by a (very) young Kevin McNally (soon to be seen reprising his pirate role in Pirates of the Caribbean 3).
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:Then again how about John Hurt as "Little Boots"? -- what a performance.

John Hurt's performance was brilliant, he really made the character his own.

However, the best casting ever- a very young Christopher Biggins as Nero 8) Couldn't have picked anyone better for that part- a comically camp yet creepy spoilt little mummy's boy
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum
"Who did they grow up to become...?"

Fascinating. Smile

I already knew what roles some of these actor went on to play, but not all of them. :?

I had no idea Castor was in Pirates... :oops:

Yesterday on the train ride home from work some other passengers were waxing long (if not so elegantly) about how much better HBO's Rome is compared to I Claudius, particularly the acting. Confusedhock:

Now I do not want to get into a "which show is better" whirlpool, and I did enjoy Rome on several levels and for several reasons, but with regards to the cast and the performances...I think "I Claudius" is tough to beat. In fact I am still impressed every time I watch it -- what an incredible cast everyone of them. Big Grin D D

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:Yesterday on the train ride home from work some other passengers were waxing long (if not so elegantly) about how much better HBO's Rome is compared to I Claudius, particularly the acting.
I have to admit that I stopped watching HBO`s "Rome" because it was in respect of acting and cheap sensationalism a HUGE disappointment for me! After that I soothed my hurt soul watchinb "I, Claudius" once again :wink: ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
And the excellent Derek Jacobi (aka Brother Cadfael !!!) is simply spell binding as Claudius.
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
And Livia went on to be Reverend Mother Mohiam of "Dune" (not much change there.)
Pecunia non olet
I see this conversation has lain dormant for a while, so I will attempt to revive it. Big Grin

I first watched I, Claudius back in high school (early 90's) and was inspired to read the books. I agree that reading the books one actually believes that they are hearing the Emperor's voice!

My only complaint about the series is that it took liberty with historical rumor and wrote it off as historical fact. Most historians now agree that Livia, though strong-willed, did not go around murdering anyone who threatened her son's accention to the imperial throne. Many also dispute the debaucheries of Tiberius as mere slander (think modern tabloids). It also took a few liberties with timelines, such as Germanicus returning in triumph and standing before Augustus after avenging the Teutoburger Wald disaster, even though the culminating Battle of Idistaviso did not take place until 16 A.D., two years after Augustus' death. That and I always wonder why is it that every film prior to HBO's "ROME" always shows Agrippa as an old man?? (he would have only been 39 at the beginning of I, Claudius) Granted, these complaints are minor, when one looks at the epic "big picture" of the books and series.

As for the series itself, its strongest asset was the casting, which was almost perfect.
-I still picture Sian Phillips whenever I write about Livia in my books.
-George Baker was also perfect as Tiberius, and the inspiration that drove me to learn more about the real Emperor (who I believe was grossly misunderstood).
-John Hurt had Caligula down to a tee, and Derek Jacobi proved immortal as Claudius himself.
-Brian Blessed (in the only role I have ever seen without his trademark beard) may not have looked like the historical Augustus, but you cannot deny the sheer command presence that he resonated, much in the same way I'm certain the real Augustus did!
-Minor characters played by actors before they became stars was great to witness. John Rhys Davies has always been a favorite of mine ever since the first Indiana Jones movie, and I do wonder if Patrick Stewart has aged a day?

Comparing to HBO's ROME (which I also own on DVD) is a bit difficult. I, Claudius came out over 30 years ago, and is more of a situational drama that does not rely on visual effects. ROME was also made for HBO, not public television; therefore there they had a lot more leeway when it came to profanity, nudity/sex, as well as the graphic violence.

One thing I tell fans of ROME (who like me are disappointed that they are not making a third season) is that if they want to know what happened afterwards, watch I, CLAUDIUS. After all, it takes place just seven years after Actium!
Titus Artorius Justus
aka: James M. Mace
Author of:
"Soldier of Rome: The Legionary"
"Soldier of Rome: The Sacrovir Revolt"
"Soldier of Rome: Heir to Rebellion"

http://www.legionarybooks.net
[email protected]
Quote:I see this conversation has lain dormant for a while, so I will attempt to revive it. Big Grin

One thing I tell fans of ROME (who like me are disappointed that they are not making a third season) is that if they want to know what happened afterwards, watch I, CLAUDIUS. After all, it takes place just seven years after Actium!

Which might be why HBO/BBC decided not to continue with a third season as it would cover much the same territory and invite the obvious, and perhaps not too kind, comparisons between the two series.

Your points as well taken Artorius, indeed "I Claudius" did at times play fast & loose with time lines and personalities and yet I have always forgiven it these lapses because of the cast and their performances.

It will be very interesting to see just what Hollywood does with/to "I Claudius" in the new feature film they are currently on. :? ?

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:My only complaint about the series is that it took liberty with historical rumor and wrote it off as historical fact.
Remember, (a) it's fiction, and (b) Robert Graves wrote it while translating Suetonius for Penguin Classics; so it's not just any old rumour, it's authentic Roman rumour! Big Grin
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
This book has been on my "to read" list for years, and I finally started it a couple days ago. (Never saw the series either, believe it or not.) Normally I get annoyed at historical fiction and find myself picking out mistakes. But with Graves I find myself finding reading and thinking "I know where he got that! Seutonius!" or whatever.

I'm quite enjoying it so far.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Quote:over much the same territory and invite the obvious,

In the last 1/2 hour of the last episode of Rome names more familiar from I, Claudius kept showing up. I half expected a little Tiberius to be toddling around.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?