Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Segmentata project - first mistakes
First thing i learned is that when cutting sheet, make sure you have the blade in the right way. second, when the wife is yelling, its impossible to cut a straight ( or even close ) line. lastly, hot hinges make grown men squeal.

Neil

Caius scipio
Neil / Caius Scipio
Well, really straight lines are a modern thing anyway...having your seggie look like it was made by hand is a good thing.

Legion: TBD
ive been trying to make it look "rustic" for lack of a better term. all the hinges rivets ive made following the guides found on this site and the legioxx site. so far its ok, doing all the sizing etc alone with the cardboard is a bit rough as i end up holding a mirror facing another mirror thinking little more there little more there , etc. only thing that is being a real bugger is trying to find the balance between authenticity and SCA combat. I have plans for two seperate sets of backplates, one is authentic style and the other is solid with bends and simulated joints. being creative with the leather is also proving to be a problem , kinda hard to make it removeable and still be authentic etc. anyways its a project and hopefully itll pay off in the end. Oh one more mistake i made is assuming i had enough light, shadows in the shop are proving to be a bit of a problem depending on where im working.

Neil

Caius Scipio
Neil / Caius Scipio
Let's see.... not cutting straight, burning self on hot brass.. ya must've been working in the Cocina again! By the by.. there's no "squealing" in the Roman army!

Not rustic.... handmade.

Mirrors? Real soldiers don't need no stinking mirrors! Frankly it sounds like you're overthinking assembly and fit.

Leave your SCA brain-set somewhere else. A seg that's as authentic as you can make is perfectly AOK for SCA combat.. In fact its better than any other kind of "SCA" seg that anyone else has devised.. you CANNOT make it better than it was made.... waste of time and materials.. you ought to stop trying to be creative with leather and steel and brass and just build a segmentata.

They messed around with variations and pretty much stuck to one or another for decades.. Why? ..'cause it worked! They made thousands upon thousands of them and you're gonna try to make one better?

I tried to be creative.... 14-15 years ago.. didn't work then! Take it from me, someone who's made or assisted in the making of over 150 segmentatas.. do it the way it was done. Stop trying to reinvent the wheel.

We chucked 18 odd old segs not to long ago. EIGHTEEN.. in the bin, in the dumpster.. probably on their way to China to be made into something naughty.

I bet you're using a ruler aren't you?
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
No ruler actually, i used poster board and laid it over the computer screen and just traced the corbridge "a Patterns" on to it. I just kept resizing until i got what seemed to be a decent fit. As for the back plate, point taken, that metal will become the steel rhombus Ive been wanting to make. Thanks for the info, any further advice is always welcome as I'm a complete nooblet when it comes to this.

Neil

Caius Scipio
Neil / Caius Scipio
hey, where in PA are ya?
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
Im in southwest pa, near Johnstown

Neil

Caius Scipio
Neil / Caius Scipio
LOL :lol:

I feel your pain!!!

I was cutting the visor for my Attic Helmet project, holding it in my left hand while using an angle grinder with the other... anyways, when I repostioned my hand (to get a better grip) OUCH!

DANG! Metal does get hot when you cut it!
Vale!

Antonivs Marivs Congianocvs
aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

My ancient coin collection:
[url:3lgwsbe7]http://www.congiano.com/MyCoins/index.htm[/url]
Yup!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I hear ya...and I have a sensitivity to heat...I usually wear a close fitting leather glove.

Legion: TBD
Should always wear gloves when handling hot metal, or when working with metal in general! Remember your PPE gentlemen! (And no. I'm not refering to your scutum, seg/hamata and helmet!) :wink:

And if your using grinder, remember goggles/face shield! And ear plugs...
and a dust mask........

And fix your lighting man..........poor lighting in the work place leads to accidents.....

Man I could go on and on and on and on........ :lol:

(looking for a safety job, so tyhought I would try out my prattle on people who can't reach me, physically!!) :lol: :wink:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
You need a risk assessment and method statement first, before you even think about undertaking the work. Paper, paper, paper...............
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Wet gloves.. ee-ee-youch!!!!
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
Don't forget to submit a safety case.....
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
well i solved the lighting part of it, 3 more overhead lights in the right spots took care of the shadows, now if i could jsut stop tinkering with those damn hinges.

Neil

Caius Scipio
Neil / Caius Scipio