Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cuma frieze shields and helmets
Searched in the topics, it does not seem to be discussed before, so, here goes a fragment of the rich weapons friezes in the Forum square of Cuma (I century B.C.).

We can see various types of scuta (both sides, with grips) and two Agen/Port type helmets with very big cheekpieces, almost to cover the face. It's the second time we can note on I century B.C. friezes such helmets type, while we are rather used to associate to this period the Montefortino and Coolus types, if they are not a tropaeum with enemy weapons, but in the first example we saw ( link from old RAT ) they were not, it seems...

[Image: cuma.jpg]

Valete,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
Interesting, thanks. Could these be captured Celtic stuff?
Laran aka Sait
Sure, they probably are so, in fact Munatius Plancus was a Iulius Caesar's officer in Gallia, anyway the strange thing is that the sculptors seem to be more accurate about these apparently piled up captured celtic weapons (later about dacian ones too) than about the roman ones...
Also maybe that the roman soldiers of the Caesar's gallic campaigns captured a lot of celtic helmets and used them so much to be represented in the Gaeta metopes.

Vale,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
The shape of some of these shields looks more in keeping with depictions of celtic equipment, rather than Roman. I've long been confused by the mixing of enemy and Roman style equipment in friezes like this. I read somewhere that the practice may have been some sort of spiritual act. The Gauls may have used some "Roman" equipment, so maybe it's all meant to be enemy spoils. Of course, we know the Romans weren't shy about using the skills of other peoples, so maybe the Celtic equipment is meant to be "Roman." Or maybe the artists didn't have a clear idea themselves.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.redrampant.com">www.redrampant.com
It may be that the artists had a chance to study the captured Gallic equipment at first hand, when It was brought to Italy for the general's triumph. Floats bearing trophies of enemy arms were always a favorite with the Roman populace.
Pecunia non olet

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trajanic frieze Goffredo 21 4,725 10-14-2006, 04:33 PM
Last Post: TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS