Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fectio/Fort Vechten - Children\'s Fort Weekend 2007
Fectio/Fort Vechten - Children's Fort Weekend

21 and 22 April:
A multi-period event at Fort Vechten ( http://www.fortvechten.nl ), east of Utrecht, The Netherlands. We will be present with several Roman re-enactment groups:
Pax Romana (NL), the Minervii (D), Corbvlo (NL) and of course Fectio (NL).

While the Romans will set up camp around the tower (look here for last year's event), the main fort will have a big fair with all kinds of children's entertainment venues.

Check here how to reach Fort Vechten and the Roman tower: http://www.fectio.org.uk/fectiomap.jpg
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
We'll be expecting 25 participants. Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
We had a great first day!
Brilliant weather, a nice visit from Jasper & Christy.

Pictures to follow.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
great

Big Grin
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
As promised:

Jasper and Christy visiting us
Cordus and his new phalerae
Jurjenius and his 5mm brass mail
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Nice pics Big Grin was there a good crowd?
Dave Bell/Secvndvs

Comitatus
[Image: comitatus.jpg]

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.comitatus.net">www.comitatus.net
Personnaly I think there had could be a little bit more, but there were enough. So we could give everyone answers on the questions they had. Our friends of Minervi and Fectio showed the (practice) plumbata, and the kids had to trow some of them. (At the end of the day we even had a big Plumbata-fight on the main-area, with about 15 romans and 15 kids)
I difenatelly like the plumbata!
ALA I BATAVORUM
Jurjenius is right, the Saturday was not as busy as the Sunday - we had far more cyclists today.

I forgot to show Publius' new Late Roman belt.
A pano of the Minervii at the fort and
a pano of the plumbata shoot-out.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
The practice plumbatae are definitely a winner. We do have to organise this a little stricter next time, though. We broke some and occasionally the kids were a bit over-enthusiastic. But it's definitely something that will stay Big Grin

As for the crowd, probably a lot of people who might have visited were drawn to the Elf Fantasy Fair. There were more people on sunday, though.
Still, I think it's a good thing if the "Children's Fort" next year is during another weekend than the Fantasy Fair.

Anyway, I had a great two days, personally I thought it a good start of the 2007 season. Tongue
Andreas Baede
Oh, and some people requested a demonstration whether the helmets were fully functional. Here, Valerius Vitalis, ever the gracious gentleman, is happy to oblige with the co-operation of a young recruit from Syria... :mrgreen:
The girl looking back at the scene is the recruit's sister, she seems slightly worried.

[Image: KinderfortZaterdag013RATversie.jpg]

[size=75:1p7dp276]No harm was done to any children, animals or plant life in the course of this demonstration[/size] :wink:
Andreas Baede
Very nice pictures, Fectio!

I was enjoying the weekend, it was a totally perfect event. The weather was wonderful (my face and neck are deep read... a little too much sun perhaps... Smile D Fectio, pax romana, Corbulo and the staff people of the fort were great! Lots of thanks to all of the roman and non-roman participiants of this event! Kudos to Robert and Andreas for inviting us, it is a honour for me (and the rest of Minervii I think) to join an event with you!

So, enough flattering for today 8)
BAR-BAR-A

Barbara Köstner
Quote:Very nice pictures, Fectio!
So, enough flattering for today 8)

By all means, Barbara, continue flattering! It's the thing to do, especially during the Dominate! :mrgreen:

Yes, "ridders" is the same as "ritter". We've been confused with knights, vikings, cossacks (the furry hats :evil: ), you name it. If we'd been on the Elf Fantasy Fair, I suspect they would have thought us Rohirrim (the Vendel-style ridge helmets in the LotR movies, y'know).

Anyway, I had the pleasure once to overhear a woman thinking II Avgvsta to be "French soldiers". The Eagle standard, you see...So, our Principate great-grandfathers occasionally suffer the same problem. Big Grin

Some people aren't aware of the difference between the Principate, the Dominate and the "Premiere Empire" of Napoleon I... :roll:
Andreas Baede
Quote:Kudos to Robert and Andreas for inviting us, it is a honour for me (and the rest of Minervii I think) to join an event with you!
My face and neck are deep read... a little too much flattering perhaps... Big Grin D D

Quote:Anyway, I had the pleasure once to overhear a woman thinking II Avgvsta to be "French soldiers". The Eagle standard, you see... :roll:
That maybe, but she thought the latin commands were French... :roll:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Andreas: for more flattering we have to talk about the payment, and I don't accept hamkaas! 8)

Yes the Cossacks came up right here as well.

And how problematic the pronouncing of latin in different languages is we all did see in Archeon last year. Sad that there is no Archeon this year... Cry
BAR-BAR-A

Barbara Köstner
And finally, all the pictures:

http://www.fectio.org.uk/shows/vechten2007_1.htm
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ROMAN ENCAMPMENT at Fort Parker in Texas MARCH 11-13, 2016 Antoninus05 2 2,172 01-22-2016, 04:07 PM
Last Post: Antoninus05
  Old Fort Parker 3 M. Demetrius 10 2,772 02-01-2013, 08:19 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  Old Fort Parker 2 M. Demetrius 29 4,829 02-04-2012, 07:28 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius