Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5th Century AD Lorica Hamata - What Style?
Hi folks, looking at sprucing up my late roman period kit, for SCA, and have some conflicting info on the type of Hamata that was commonly worn at that time. Looking for around 410AD.

Were the Hamata's in that time, the normal type with the double shoulders, or where they the type of just normal looking chain shirts, with half sleeves and a little longer than the old Hamatas.

Thanks for any info.

I have a riveted chain shirt already, not made in the roman fashion, but at least from a 10' distance looks the part. But it is the type with just the half sleeves and about 35" to 40" in length I think.

But if the, what I think is the old style of Hamatas, more correct for 410ad, then I will probably sell this one, and get one of that type from Find-It.

Thanks for any advise.
John Tibbs
short sleeve byrnie looking shirt
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
long sleeved, waist or knee-length, no doublers.

[Image: vechten2006_sep13.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I agree with Robert 8)
Look at the soldier to the left:
[Image: Chiaramonti.jpg]

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
So almost a Norman style hauberk?
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
ya... why the hell did i say short sleeved? ug stupid sinus cold makes me write the wrong things.
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
Quote:So almost a Norman style hauberk?
Kinda, yeah.

Quote:ya... why the hell did i say short sleeved? ug stupid sinus cold makes me write the wrong things.
Bless you. Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Republican Legionary Lorica Hamata Vergilius Salomonis Dextro 1 41 04-23-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: Arius
  Early first century hamata questions Romulus 3 1,226 02-24-2017, 11:03 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Lorica Hamata Czear12 14 4,342 09-24-2015, 02:42 AM
Last Post: Czear12