Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
did the auxillarys wear bracae??
im aa reenactor and am pondering did the auxillarys wear bracae within the army?? :?:
This will help me be more accurate and let me know if im able to wear them so please help me
Smile
real name is alex lee. .

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.romansireland.com">www.romansireland.com . its the site from legio viii in ireland. .
LEG VIII AVG COH HIB
im an auxillery for the above.
I don't see why not. Particularly in the early first century.

As we got into 70AD and beyond, things were probably more Romanised, and moved away from more traditionally 'provincial' clothing.

However, in cold weather?!!!! :wink:
Peroni wrote:

Quote:As we got into 70AD and beyond, things were probably more Romanised, and moved away from more traditionally 'provincial' clothing.

Actually it almost looks the other way around! Very early auxiliaries probably wore their own clothes but we do not have much evidence for this. However to judge from early first century sculptures and tombstones the auxiliaries are wearing the same type of tunics and cloaks as the legionaries including those with the multiple folds. However both the columns of Trajan and Marcus Aurelius show auxiliaries in very short length tunics with bracae and sagum cloaks. By the third century both legionaries and auxiliaries are wearing the same uniforms again, long sleeved tunics, sagum cloaks and trousers. So the army is in fact 'Germanised' as regards it's clothing. By the time of the famous fifth century image of Stilicho he is wearing the very latest 'Roman' fashion, highly decorated long sleeved tunic, trousers and cloak but to a first century Roman that would have looked entirely barbarian.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
The Rhineland tombstones depict the auxiliaries in their 'parade-best' though Graham, not 'campaign-wear'.

Surely in the field they are likely to have worn a trouser of some sort, especially the mounted troops. Until 70AD certainly 'us' Batavians were commanded by our own chieftains, ergo, probably still wore some extant native clothing especially in winter!

In 99AD, the new emperor Trajan brought the equites singulari Augusti to Rome. He saw to it that they looked as ‘Roman’ as possible. Like frontier troops of the line, they wore sleeveless or short-sleeved tunics and knee-length breeches. (Femenalia). This suggests that when the troops were on campaign or in the field that they wore un-Roman clothing, namely long sleeves and trousers.
Quote:In 99AD, the new emperor Trajan brought the equites singulari Augusti to Rome. He saw to it that they looked as ‘Roman’ as possible. Like frontier troops of the line, they wore sleeveless or short-sleeved tunics and knee-length breeches. (Femenalia).

Adrian this is a direct quote from Speidel! However he say's troopers not troops. :wink: The poet Martial describing the same event mentions the Moors wearing embroidered Nileland tunics. Speidel does not give a direct ancient reference for making the guard cavalry look as 'Roman' as possible. However later on from the quote you copied he does say their apperence changed by the third century to long sleeved tunics and trousers. Early guard cavalry wear the paenula which was a more traditional Roman cloak but they later adopted the sagum which the Romans believed had Gallic origins but is practically identical to the cloak worn by the Germans. Again Germanising rather than Romanising.

As for first century battle gear for auxiliaries, cavalry in bracea seems OK certainly for second century. I have no problem with long sleeved tunics for cavalry either in the first century. I have also shown leg wrappings on occasion as this seems sensible based on other images of hunters etc... There are also mentions of fascia alongside boots in two cavalry pay receipts which would make sense if they are leg wrappings or bindings. However Bishop and Coulston dismiss them.

As for first century infantry in bracae, well I know of no evidence for this but again I agree with you it seems sensible and logical that at certain times they would.

Graham.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Graham wrote..
Quote:As for first century infantry in bracae, well I know of no evidence for this but again I agree with you it seems sensible and logical that at certain times they would.

We couldn't find any hard evidence for the auxiliary infantry either, so we keep the full length braccae for training events and off-duty wear. :wink:

We decided as a group, that for our event displays (parade wear) we would not wear full length braccae, but would allow the choice of femenalia. Some of our auxiliaries wear femenalia, others, no leggings.

Dependant on the weather, I'll lose the femenalia if it's a hot day.

I did find this snippet though...
In the writings of Tacitus (Histories book 2.20) we find…

“Caecina, who seemed to have left his cruelty and profligacy on the other side of the Alps, advanced through Italy with his army under excellent discipline. The towns and colonies, however, found indications of a haughty spirit in the general's dress, when they saw the cloak of various colours, and the trousers, a garment of foreign fashion, clothed in which he was wont to speak to their toga-clad citizensâ€
Hi Adrian

[quote]I did find this snippet though...
In the writings of Tacitus (Histories book 2.20) we find…

“Caecina, who seemed to have left his cruelty and profligacy on the other side of the Alps, advanced through Italy with his army under excellent discipline. The towns and colonies, however, found indications of a haughty spirit in the general's dress, when they saw the cloak of various colours, and the trousers, a garment of foreign fashion, clothed in which he was wont to speak to their toga-clad citizensâ€

i think this would look better as a group if i didnt wear the bracae on parade but as undress order. . i usually dont wear any form of leggings but it is cold over here for some shows.. thanks for the help guys. Big Grin

vale!! Smile )
real name is alex lee. .

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.romansireland.com">www.romansireland.com . its the site from legio viii in ireland. .
LEG VIII AVG COH HIB
im an auxillery for the above.
How nice of you to join in our private thread,..... oh sorry Alex it was you who started us off! Big Grin

Glad to be of some help, I hope Adrian and I have made everything totally clear! :wink:
Graham.