Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st century sword sheath from Porto Novo
An interesting sword sheath was found in the Porto Novo - ((funnily) also known as Porto Vecchio) wreck - check out this article, page 8!
Thanks Martin, really interesting! I would love to see more finds documented like this, with photos and reconstruction pictures and all! The sword seems to have been a quite "shortish" mainz style gladius...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Nice, thanks. Martin, when is the wreck and scabbard dated to? The chape looks very similar to this one, supposed to be from Xanten?

http://www.replik-online.de/de/shop/bil ... _rmg6c.jpg
Repro by Erik Konig.

Unless Erik used the Porto Novo chape to complement the upper part from Xanten, it's interesting to see almost identical chapes in different parts of Europe of such a particular style. The scabbard also looks very wide for a Pompeii type, so is it a Mainz type scabbard?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:Nice, thanks. Martin, when is the wreck and scabbard dated to? The chape looks very similar to this one, supposed to be from Xanten?

According to the article, the sheath/sword might represent a transitional style between the Mainz and Pompeii types. This is based on the fact that the chape is angled at 20.5 degrees and thus right in the middle between the angles of Mainz type sheaths on the on hand and Pompeii type sheaths on the other. The sheath measures 483 mm in length, btw.
The chape from Erik certainly looks as though he took the design from this one to complete another.
Could someone PM me the relevant page, for some reason my adobe isn't working :?
Dave Bell/Secvndvs

Comitatus
[Image: comitatus.jpg]

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.comitatus.net">www.comitatus.net

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Porto Vecchio belt plate help Doc 5 1,979 11-24-2019, 03:51 PM
Last Post: Vibennis cassivs petrvs
  Sword, I century AD Bruno Bazzani 44 16,274 12-08-2015, 08:26 AM
Last Post: Bruno Bazzani
  3rd century Roman sword hilt (?) jho 24 6,842 11-24-2011, 05:18 AM
Last Post: Crispvs