Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The "destroyed Column of Theodosius"
I can see this is going to be a frustrating subject - because you guys cannot see what we are talking about, and must rely on my less-than-perfect descriptive skills.
I may try to get these drawings professionally scanned, but I doubt they will come out too well - they are very fine line on a greyish background and have clearly been heavily reduced, plus are photographic copies of copies....
All the saddles have high pommels and cantles, usually covered by saddle cloths in the case of the ordinary troopers.The senior officers behind the Emperor have turned-over 'scroll' pommels - very contemporary style ( to the artist) , but this could be a very natural way for the artist to render/interpret the Roman four-horned saddle, and indeed looks also like this, especially when covered with a saddle cloth.
Robert, do you know of any on-line depictions of the column of Arcadius ?
What I have may well be from it, and it would be possible to tell immediately if they were the same. If you had the book and it has illustrations could you scan, say, one image (which should not break any copyright )
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff

Messages In This Thread
Column of Theodosius - by Paullus Scipio - 06-07-2007, 10:58 AM
The "Destroyed Column of Theodosius" - by Paullus Scipio - 06-08-2007, 07:38 AM