Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Denying Thermopylae - taken from the Newsfeed section
Yassou Idomeneas
Quote:In this point i would like to comment something i observed in your post Arthes that gives me the chance to see it as case study, please dont take it personally. You reffer to Macedonians and Northern Greeks as if they are seperate groups. So i conclude and correct me if im wrong that you consider Macedonians non Greek as many other people tend to do latelly.
It wasn't meant in that context... :oops:
Alexander and Philip were 'Macedonians' so I always use it as the name for their people, as opposed to say, the Thessalians, who were called 'Northern Greeks'
As far as I knew the Macedonians were of Dorian ancestry as were the Spartans, both had Hercules as their ancestor..both Dorian branches would have intermarried with the indigenous and surrounding peoples to a certain extent, which may have given them their 'look'.
It's fairly obvious that different people lived in Macedonia after the 7th century :wink: but I do think it possible some of them may have intermarried or had children with the Macedonians, so a few may just have an ancestor who fought with Alexander or one of the Diadochi...that is where things are difficult, you don't know who those few are...!
That is the closest I can get without being 'off topic' for RAT
except to say I do have some 'family' links with Macedonia, as my Grandfather was one of the British Artillerymen stationed and fighting there during WWI...
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-

Messages In This Thread
Re: Denying Thermopylae - taken from the Newsfeed section - by Gaius Decius Aquilius - 04-15-2007, 03:10 AM
Re: Denying Thermopylae - taken from the Newsfeed section - by Arthes - 04-15-2007, 04:27 PM