Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Segmentata sizing help?
Hi,
Newbie here, i looked all over the boards trying to find some info on sizing etc. i think Ive got it all except the breast plate. Ive enlarged the patterns from the Legio XX site and have sized all of the parts for the corbridge "a" style except for the breast plates. Ill be using it for re-enactment and sca combat if possible and will be making all parts from scratch (except the sheet steel). In sizing the breast plate as it stands it falls very short full size of covering my chest . What is a good point to size the plate to (width) in relation to my chest. The full size pattern seems i could widen the plates by a full 2 inches each and be about right. I guess I'm just trying to find the point on my body where its supposed to rest. Ill be making the entire suit of 16g cold rolled steel, id rather go 18 bottom 16 top but the 16 was free and I'm cheap. Ive just about finished my hinges and have all my rivets made (from instructions found here :-) ) ) the cardboard pattern is done minus the sizing of the breastplate. Once i finish that ill be bending and riveting within the week.
Also one more thing, regarding tinning, when you tin the steel, what is the appropriate grade of abrasive to finish it with?

Thank you and i apologize for such a long winded question

Neil

Caius Scipio
Neil / Caius Scipio
Hey Neil....as a guide...you want 2 things.

1. Make sure the breastplate fits in proportion to the rest of the plates around it. You don't want 100% sized collar and shoulder plates, next to a 300% enlarged breast plate.

2. Make sure the overall fit of the breastplate actually fits. If you follow point number one you should be ok. If you enlarged the collar and back plates by 25% more than the original, you should do the same to the breast plates.

I'm not sure you want to abrade the tin at all after you heat it onto the steel...if you want to polish it, use autosol, flitz or neverdull. If you need to work out some streaks or runs, I'd use about a 2000 grit sandpaper or emory cloth, then polish with a rag and compound, because that tin is going to be super thin.

Legion: TBD
i hadn't thought about the proportions in regards to the connected plates etc. ty for pointing that out, id have been swearing profusely if id have cut sheet metal without noticing that. ive been playing with sizes all night and think im fairly close, just need to tinker about a bit i guess. Also ty for the tinning advice, i wasnt really sure what to do if i get a run etc. Ty for the help, its much appreciated.

Neil
Neil / Caius Scipio
Ty this section...

http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org/8_1.html
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sizing of Lorica Segmentata jak1970 5 2,170 11-27-2007, 03:05 AM