Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Last Legionary by Paul Elliott
Quote:IPaul, when is your book going to be published so we can heavily promote it? Big Grin

Hi Robert,

I have my own copies of THE LAST LEGIONARY now, and I believe they are available from Tempus directly, and also from Amazon.

Tempus:
http://www.spellmount.com/bookdetails.p ... 1862273634

Amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Last-Legionary- ... 602&sr=8-1
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
Quote:I have my own copies of THE LAST LEGIONARY now, and I believe they are available from Tempus directly, and also from Amazon.

Paul,

I just went to Amazon and read the synopsis:

"... finally following him South as he leaves Britain for good in
defence of Rome."

Please tell me this is only Amazon's blurb, and that the book does not
actually end this way. 8) Now, had he remained in Britain - because
he was born and raised in Britain, like most other 4th/5th c. troops -
then I would have bought it straight away! :wink:

As it is, with Ravenna taking over as the administrative centre from
Rome, Gaul being infested with Goths, Saxons etc & this British
legionary's family being in Britain, I've always been suspicious of the
traditional picture of all British troops even agreeing to make the
perilous journey to Rome in the 5th c. - had that order ever come
in any case. Big Grin

Ambrosius/Mike
"Feel the fire in your bones."
Yes he does! The unit he is a member of was almost certainly based in Britain in the 4thC; but it appears in the Notitia Dignitatum, along with several other ex-British units in the Gallic Field Army by the early 400s. The overwhelming opinion is that they were transfered there at the end of the 4thC by either Magnus Maximus, Stilicho, Constantine III or all three!

So its not myth... plus it means that the book can end with a chapter focussing on a major, a very major, battle, and look at what such massive battles were like for the average soldier.
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
Thanks Paul, I'll add it to my list!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
it's not availible thru the US amazon market yet. i'll book mark it when it is
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
Paul, I finally got my copy. It's a GREAT book! I'm going to read it cover to cover, but already I can tell this is going on the 'must have' list for every Late Roman enthusiast!!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Great! That sounds very promising Smile )
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
still not availible on teh amazon usa market
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
Paul, I've added your book to my Amazon.ca Wish List. I should be able to purchase it toward the end of the month. Smile

One of my favourite aspects on Roman history is Roman Britain, so this should be interesting.
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
Just finished my reading some minutes ago. An amazing book, really interesting and well-written.

Laudes!
"O niurt Ambrois ri Frangc ocus Brethan Letha."
"By the strenght of Ambrosius, king of the Franks and the Armorican Bretons."
Lebor Bretnach, Irish manuscript of the Historia Brittonum.
[Image: 955d308995.jpg]
Agraes / Morcant map Conmail / Benjamin Franckaert
Many thanks, Ben.

I think also thee are a whole load of stories and untold tales to found in the establishment of Britanny in this period. And I can see that's something that interests you...

Not that I'm offering to try and unravel that tale!!
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
Yes, a great deal of research still to be done about Early Brittany! I hope our small contribution will shed some light on it, at least gather what is known and what may have been to show it to the public :wink:
"O niurt Ambrois ri Frangc ocus Brethan Letha."
"By the strenght of Ambrosius, king of the Franks and the Armorican Bretons."
Lebor Bretnach, Irish manuscript of the Historia Brittonum.
[Image: 955d308995.jpg]
Agraes / Morcant map Conmail / Benjamin Franckaert
I picked up your book in the giftshop at Arbeia on Saturday. It looks very promising.
Congratulations!
Lochinvar/Ewan Carmichael
Thank goodness, I quickly glanced at the topic and thought you were talking about the Last Legion......pheew
This book looks very interesting and I have just put it on my wish list at Amazon for puschase when I have finished my current book The
The Fall of the Roman Empire: A New History by Peter Heather
...congrats on your achievement.
Martin
Two 5 star reviews at Amazon UK. Maybe you could get more here to add to that. Will buy soon.

Best of luck to it!

Mak
Arturus Uriconium
a.k.a Mak Wilson
May the horse be with you!
[url:17bayn0a]http://www.makltd.biz[/url]